1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

79-95 toyota help and parts here!

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Konvict KROG, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG [OP] Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    The dash pot, from what I understand is for emissions and holds the throttle open slightly when shifting to cause the hanging air fuel ratio to burn off a little bit better or something. It does or can cause some rev hang and or a little bit of surging. I have never had a problem with just removing the vacuum line and filter from the metal parr and sticking a vacuum line plug on it then adjusting the idle if needed.

I actually had no ide what it was the first time I took it off and because of the way it looked I assumed it was just a vacuum leak source.

If its what I am thinking its on the front of the intake with a short rubber hose hanging from a metal diaphragm deal that has a plastic housing dangling on it. In the service manuals it shows a oicture that says DP manual trans only. If you want to keep it sometimes the plastic dangling piece (filter) gets clogged up and changing it out with one that is new or clean fixes the problem.

Hope this helps

2. Nov 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    This is a good thread to get up and running.

Do you have a line on and IAC and TPS for an 85 22REC?

Also whoever was looking for a dash peice for and 83, Green Truck on Pirate 4x4 makes ome killer aftermarket ones that looke better than OEM.

I have a stash of random stuff off my 85 if anyone needs it. I will let it go pretty cheap + shipping.

3. Nov 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    I actually just had to find an IAC for my 85. For whatever reason it was not there.

I have a TPS but I do not know if its good at the moment. I will have to look up the pin test for it when I have time.

I am moving on short notice so I am extremely swamped with stuff to do currently

4. Nov 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    1993 Pickup 5spd/4x4 chassis swap
    Yeah I have done more research and you just stated what I have found. But not completely sure on it causing the surging idle, lots of threads for and a lot against it. Also, I don't think that is my issue as I do not believe it was ever on there when I got it, and it never had any issues before. Mines a 93 so the set up is a little bit different I believe.

Yeah you got the right one. But mine isn't there at all, just the bracket and screws but not the filter or anything else.

Oddly, the issue is not present when its cold, it comes up as its warm, when it gets warmer the surging idle goes away (maybe 5 minutes after a cold start).

The truck has no loss of power anywhere, no miss, feels great minus the surging idle and fuel consumption. I'm about ready to drive it into the pacific ocean.

Also, the I have been adjusting the idle with the idle screw on the Tbody; I lower it and the next day the idle sounds a lot higher again. But the screw has not moved a bit, something is kicking the idle up remotely.
    Also fuel consumption is ridiculous; 11 mpg is retarded. 160 miles traveled per 13.5 gallons. Might be time to sell it, too long trying to find the issue. My damn 4.10 geared mustang (very low gears in mustang land) saw 190 miles traveled per 10.5 gallons last tank.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. Dec 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Javi22RE

Javi22RE Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Javi
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    1993 Pickup 5spd/4x4 chassis swap
    So, I finally fixed my truck just as I was about to push it off a cliff. Just in case anyone out there finds this thread while doing research I will post my findings.

I've gone through a ton of part checking to make sure they function properly but found one that did not. The IAC valve or Auxiliary Air Valve, was the last place I looked because simply I did not know how it function on these motors and the fact that it was $110. So I found a way to test it.
    1. Turn the truck on and let it run until it is fully warmed up and the idle is surging.
    1B. (too lazy to renumber lol) Turn the truck off completely.
    2. Quickly remove the air intake tube set up leading to the throttle body.
    3. Locate the IAC hole in the Tbody (about 1/4" size)
    4. Cover the hole using DUCT tape. I would not use anything else as you don't want it getting sucked in to the motor. Make sure the tape is super sticky and will not come off.
    5. Reassemble the intake tube.
    6. Turn the truck on and you will immediately notice that your idle is much lower. You can than adjust the idle screw on the Tbody to 700/750 rpm.
    7. Press the brakes and you will notice the surging is gone.
    8. Now you know the IAC is the root of all your surging idle issues so you can no disassemble the intake tube and remove the duct tape. I would not leave it in there for any period longer than this test. If you do, that's on you. I take no responsibility for anyone's stupidity lol.
    9. Buy a new IAC.

Finally glad to see my 22re running right. Now to get some stock wheels/tires for daily driver duties.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. Jan 13, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Hey man glad to see you got it! I used a latex glove finger on my 85 that I drive to work, its got 270k now and does pretty good still! Sorry I have been gone had a baby and went to Afghanistan so I have not really had much time to interweb. Thanks for posting it up on here! As for stock tires.. I run outlaw 2 wheels and treadwright 31x10.5 bead to bead gaurd dogs on my 85, with the lift and tires and 270k its still giving me 20-23 mpg. 4.30 gears with 5 inch lift regular cab long bed

Products Discussed in

To Top