1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

7gr

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by William Mulkey, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jun 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM
    Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '86 AE86, '05 NCP13, '11 GSE21
    Early accessory lists from Toyota USA listed VDS info for the 2016 Tacoma with engines listed as 2TR and 7GR, with no further information. Unofficially, the 7GR is apparently the new 3.5L that is going to be used in the RX350, so it kind of made sense that it would be a variant of that block, possibly with a different bore/stroke than other 3.5L members of the GR family. When I saw that list from Toyota USA, I edited Wikipedia accordingly with a link to the document from Toyota USA. Since then, the EPC (electronic parts catalog) has been getting slowly updated as things are finalized for the truck. The engine code used in the parts catalog was 2GR-FKS, not 7GR. My guess is that whomever wrote the accessory document that is posted on Toyota ASG misread 2GR as 7GR (maybe it was handwritten?) or something along those lines. I would consider the EPC to be a more accurate and reliable source than the ASG document, I've seen many errors in various Toyota USA ASG documents and Toyota Canada CDM documents compared to very few errors in the Toyota EPC.

As for when production is going to start, again based on the EPC, it looks like August. (Everything for the 2015's is being updated to show end dates of 08/2015).

Interestingly, a lot of 2TR parts and/or diagrams are also showing an end date of 08/2015, which I didn't expect (things like the diagram for the cylinder head for example), so I'm thinking it's going to be getting at least some sort of an update - it may just be a new plastic engine cover. Until the 1508- diagrams are added it will be hard to know what's getting changed.

Jeff

=JSG= and jonnyozero3 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top