1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

800w or 1000w inverter in bed install advice please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bluefish, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    bluefish

bluefish [OP] overkill is underrated

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    chitbox
    Hoping somebody can either post a helpful link for me, or explain to my like I'm a 5 year old a few things about this process...

I've searched TW and found a whole bunch of threads on inverters but none really broke the process down or put my feeble mind at ease about the specifics of installing one :confused: I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to electrical work.

Here's my situation: I have a '12 SR5 and I want to put in an inverter and wire the outlets in the standard TRD location on the rear passenger side of the bed. I want to power a small compressor, battery chargers for cordless tools, work lights, camping stuff like radios and a hot plate or water boiler. From what little I know, I believe I want 800w or 1000w for this stuff as the 400w won't be enough for the amperage I need, and larger ones will strain the battery and alternator too much (?)

If anybody can give me technical information about wiring the inverter and outlet I'd really appreciate it. I'm an electrical novice. :( Also any info about specific hardware or electrical diagrams would be awesome.

Do I want to locate the inverter somewhere underneath the center console like standard, or would there be advantages in putting it elsewhere?

My truck has the factory tow package. Am I right to believe it has an alternator that can handle this type of load?

Am I right that I should hardwire the inverter to the battery and put in a relay and switch?

Thanks for any help

2. Oct 28, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    tacomaconvert

tacomaconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 White SR5 DC 4X4
    Factory roof rack, bed extender Extang Full Tilt Tonneau
    How'd you make out with this, ever get one installed?? I'm in the same situation, have a 2012 DC SR5 with factory tow package and would like to have an AC power outlet somewhere.

Products Discussed in

To Top