1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

90000 mile setvice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jungdo99, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Nov 14, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    Jungdo99

Jungdo99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    I'm going my 2010 Tacoma in for a 90000 mile. service. What will they do and wht else should I have done?

2. Nov 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Depends on your service history. The recommended maintenance is in the owners manual but that assumes that you're current on everything.

3. Nov 14, 2016 at 8:27 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Awesome

4. Nov 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Warranty and maint. schedule will give you all you need. Owners manual will not. You can find this at toyota.com - click on "owners" & register - follow the yellow brick road for this info

If they tell you that you need any of the following...beware...

- brake cleaning
    - power steering fluid flush
    - fuel injector cleaning

It's likely that the dealer has invented more "recommended" services than the 3 I've shown. If it's not in the maint guide, consider the following:

I really would have no objection to the 3 I've cautioned you about, but at dealerships, many "maintenance" type services are never actually performed or not performed correctly.

It's kinda like the College Football great Woody Hayes - Ohio State - used to say:

"There are 3 things that can happen when you put a football in the air and 2 of them are bad".

The same holds true for maint. work at a car dealership:

- They did the work and did so correctly - fingers crossed
    - They did the work and did NOT do so correctly - not unusual
    - They did NOT do the work - it would surprise you to know how often this happens

Find an independent repair shop that depends on their service reputation only and you'll likely avoid the Woody Hayes scenario.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  5. Nov 15, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I hate to say it but I can verify the list of 3 things possible above. The worst incompetence I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing was a time when I took the truck in to have the rear drum brakes looked at and the dealer put them back together incorrectly. I drove around for a week without working rear brakes and had to call the corporate office and complain before the dealer would fix what they had broken. Even then they still managed to blame me and acted like they were doing me a favor fixing things....needless to say I haven't been back since.

Took my wife's car in to have the oil changed once and they didn't change the oil filter. I always mark the filters before taking the vehicle in just to make sure something like that doesn't happen and sure enough the filter had my initials still on it.

6. Nov 15, 2016 at 10:05 AM
    SargeBB

SargeBB Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Impulse Red regular cab 4x4 Tacoma
    OEM Cruise, OEM Intermittent wipers, 10-ply Michelins
    Here's my list of 90,000 mi. services (2008 regular cab 4x4 2.7L 5-speed M/T): Change transfer case oil, manual transmission oil, front & rear differential fluid, coolant flush of engine & radiator, steering system fluid flush, brake fluid flush, engine air filter and cabin air filter changes, engine oil & filter change, and grease all 4 propeller shaft zerks. Fluids used were: Mobil-1 GL-5 75W-90 in front diff. & transfer case, Redline MT-90 in M/T, Amsoil 90W-110 rear end, Toyota 'Pink' coolant, Valvoline Dexron ATF in P/S, Prestone Dot III, Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp L/C #2 grease & Mobil-1 5W-40 TDT oil.
    All inspections noted in Toyota maintenance book were done, as well. None of the work was difficult...it just takes a little time. I'm 71 years old and did the work myself. Of course, I've got the proper tools, a 2-post lift and have done all my maintenance and most vehicle repairs for over 50 years.

Products Discussed in

To Top