1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

91 toyota 4x4 sr5 pre runner engine swap

Discussion in 'X-Runners' started by macjan95, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    macjan95

macjan95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felip
    Vehicle:
    91 toyota Sr5 prerunner on a 4x4 manual
    None but would like to do an engine swap from 3.0 that got broken at the engine block right by the oil pan passenger side towards the front where the water pump is connected if I am not mistaken.But as I figure out the 96 3.4 engine which I already have it looks like I will have an issue on exhaust and other issue that connects to the air duct nd filter
    I need help on my 1991 toyota pick v6 3.0 liter sr5 pre runner on a 4x4 manual.The engine block cracked right by the oil pan passenger side where the water pump is also connected and splitting apart.I searched the internet for replacement engine and came across suggestions and facts that 1991 V6 3.0 engine is problematic so I bought a V6 3.4 liter engine nd I think it is from a 1996 toyota tacoma.I am in the process of removing the old engine so I can put the 3.4 V6 in but I noticed that the exhaust manifold and the throttle and air intake are the opposite of my old V6 3.0 engine..I have not totally removed the old engine but need to removed it.Is there any fix or any way to get the swap done smoothly?

Running Board Man likes this.
  2. Feb 15, 2018 at 4:43 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    You'd have to rerun all the electrical if you're using a different engine

3. Feb 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    Go to YotaTech.com those guys over there are experts on pre-tacoma Toyotas. Lots of 3.4l swap threads too

4. Feb 22, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    arcenik

arcenik TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    ][-][//-\\\/\///-\\][][
    Vehicle:
    2015 X-Runner
    Also check out www.offroadsolutions.com they have plug and play harnesses and cross over pipes that will move the exhaust.

5. Feb 22, 2018 at 4:39 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Pickeledpigsfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    I usually cut and section the stock 3.4 crossover pipe to move the dump to the driver's side just like the 3.0s.

The stock throttle cable usually reaches fine.

You can move the battery to the driver's side and then run the 3.4 intake, or leave batt in stock location and run a shorty intake pipe and a open filter.

You also need to power the stock 3.0 fuse block and I usually leave them in the stock location and just run a longer cable from the new batt location.

Also need to swap to 3.0 pan and t100 dipstick and tube.

You need to spend time on yotatech. They likely have the EDM for your year 3.0 and the donor 3.4 so you can repin the harness correctly.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  6. Feb 22, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    I thought i had a pic when i was piecing it together, but this ended up being the best pic i have of the crossover collector.

image.jpg

7. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    macjan95

macjan95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felip
    Vehicle:
    None but would like to do an engine swap from 3.0 that got broken at the engine block right by the oil pan passenger side towards the front where the water pump is connected if I am not mistaken.But as I figure out the 96 3.4 engine which I already have it looks like I will have an issue on exhaust and other issue that connects to the air duct nd filter
    Pickeledpigsfeet Yeah I noticed your oil dipstick, did you run it to d plugged hole underneath the engine mount on the side where the oil pan and engine block are connected?I switched the oil pan and the oil suction pipe with the wire mess of the 3.0 to 3.4 nd rotated the oil pan and perfectly fits but obscured the original dipstick so need to relocate the dipstick hole or else you wont get an accurate reading of the oil level.

8. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:16 PM
    macjan95

macjan95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felip
    Vehicle:
    How were you able to comply with the california emission?I am realky wanting this 3.4 ti instakl coz 3. Slow as per website is problematic..

9. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    macjan95

macjan95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felip
    Vehicle:
    I also noticed your modification on the exhaust manifold like the 3.0 coz 3. 4 exhaust manifold mated together on the passenger side.So you cut it and welded it to be on the driver's side like the original 3.0 down to the donut connector nd becomes one piece all d way to the tail pipe..

10. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    Some year blocks just have a plug in the drivers side that you use for the dipstick, other years you have to drill a hole.

Then to be safe you fill it with oil to the proper amount of oil capacity of the 3.4 and confirm that the dipstick reads correctly. It seems like usually 1/8" over the full mark on the new dipstick is actually full.

I had the whole 4runner and moved all emissions over to my truck. Including the 3.4 downpipe and cat.

11. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    macjan95

macjan95 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felip
    Vehicle:
    That is my setback on my modification from 3.0 to 3.4 liter engine.Oil dipstick need to be relocated also and the 3. 4 mated exhaust manifold is on the passenger side while the 3.0 is on the driver's side and of course 3.4 ECU need to find one,With the exhaust manifold maybe need a trip to the muffler/welding shop to do the modification.As I mentioned about my setback modification can be done But the big problem is how to pass smog and to what spec will it be run 3.0 or 3.4 to pass?

Products Discussed in

To Top