1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95 - going back on the road after sitting 3 years - advice on maintenace requested

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 95tacoma, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

95tacoma [OP] Member

Sep 19, 2007
    95 Tacoma Short Bed 2.7L 4cyl
    I am putting my 1995 Toyota Tacoma back on the road after about 3 years of sitting. I started it periodically and drove it during that time a total of about 1000 miles. It started and ran like a champ each time, however I know I have missed out on some routine things and was curious if anyone had any feedback on what I should to prior to running it daily. Here is a breakdown of the vehicle and what I am already planning on doing:

1995 4x4 2.7L
    178xxx miles
    Decent shape, has passed the frame rust inspection twice (last time about a year ago)
    31" BFG all terrains with almost full tread
    5 spd

I am going to be replacing the brakes in the next few weeks. This is something I should have done several years ago and just never got around to doing. Also planning on changing the oil. It shifts fine and the 4WD works fine as well. One thing I noticed the last time I drove it, I was only getting about 12-15 miles per gallon. I know it shouldn't get any more than about 17-23, but I any thoughts on what would cause it to dip as low as this?

Any other thoughts on what I should do? I have had this truck for about ten years and love it. It will serve as my second vehicle for jobs around the house and for 4x4 in the winter. I just have too long of a commute to drive it daily as it would kill me on gas. I'd like to keep it going for another ten!

Thanks for your feedback.
  2. Nov 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM

kg4ghn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2009
    First Name:
    02 PreRunner DblCab SR5
    Nerf bars, JVC CD player
    deckplate mod, new air filter, new fuel filter, run some seafoam through it.

That will get you started, and should boost your mpgs a little.
To Top