1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

96 Tacoma 2.7 head gasket is on its way out :(

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by curious G, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dec 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    curious G

curious G [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma DLX 2.7 4WD
    I'd like to start off by saying hello to everyone, and that I appreciate you looking at this post and all of your advice/help.

I have a 96 Tacoma. It was my Dads truck and when I graduated computer school back in 2000 my father gave it to me as a graduation gift, which was and is extremely cool. It was only 4 years old and had just a little over 100K miles on it. Many highway miles as he worked far from his house. Anyway, its the DLX model, 4WD auto, with the 2.7L. Since then, I have only had to do a few basic repairs over time like rpl: water pump, thermostat, starter, tires and brakes, and a heater core/ radiator. And now it has almost 230K miles on it, again highway miles.

As fate would have it, I just replaced the rear leaf springs and shocks and also the U-joints yesterday, myself with a friend who is a mechanic. And wow, what a work out that was. But now it sits right and rides nice, REALLY NICE :)
    So this morning when I started it up it smoked white thick clouds for about 5 minutes and then stopped smoking and then my coolant level is low.
    I believe at the very least that my head gasket is going and or that the head is cracked, which is common from what I understand for the mileage of my Tacoma. I am trying to scour the salvage yards for a head and if I can get one, I will have a head shop check it and do a valve job on it...

Three questions:
    Toyota brand head gasket kit or Victors composite nitroseals kit?? And would you do the timing chain kit as well since I will be there after I remove the head? If so, what brand of timing chain kit would you suggest?
    Thanks in advance and I am sorry to make this such a long post. Just wanted give you some flavor as to my predicament. Have a great holiday :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. Dec 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Do it all while in there. Stay OEM. It proved itself for 230k right?

If unsure find a Toyota shop to give you best options.

Products Discussed in

To Top