1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 3.4 timing belt / water pump replacement anomalies

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ironslippers, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:31 PM
    ironslippers

ironslippers [OP] What? Me Worry?

Member:
    Colorado
    97 3.4 4x4 260k replaced water pump & timing belt.
    During tear down quit a lot of dirt got in behind the timing belt covers, after blowing clean with air then sparingly brake cleaner and on the sensor contact cleaner. Finished it was a hard start, when started exhaust bellowed out gray smoke (closer to white than black). Flushing cooling system with Blue Devil I let run for about 15min (instructions are 10min), as I quized myself over the smoke. By the time I turned the key off the exhaust had subsided smoking, how much was hard to tell considering by then the entire garage was bathed in a haze. There isn't any water in my oil or oil in my water.
    Q: How could any foreign substance(s) have found it way to the combustion chamber? Are there more concerning problems (There were none prior)?

During that 15min run I revved the engine a bit and ended up taking a piece out of my fan blade when it hit the bolt on the power stearing pulley bolt. The fan pulley housing (including bearing) were replaced during assembly (the original had froze, hence the project). The shroud was not installed at the time. At an steady RPM the fan was stable, but at any quick RPM variation the fan would go cocky-wobly unbalanced.
    Q: Could the fan clutch be at fault, or weakening of the blade, or sans-shroud, bad bearing in the new fan pulley assemby? Who is OEM on the fan blade?

2. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:36 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Aisin I believe is the OEM for the fan, I have a OE fan and clutch for a 3.4 for sale if you need them, the fan is going to be out of balance and "wibbly wobbly" unless you replace it, that missing chunk from hitting the bolt is going to keep it from ever turning smoothly, I wouldn't run the engine until that fan is replaced or run the risk of damaging the pull/fan bracket bearing.

As for the smoke, it's hard to say, is it still starting hard? Are you sure you got all your timing marks correct? When you release the tensioner the belt likes to jump. You may be off by a tooth on one cam. Any check codes?

3. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:54 PM
    ironslippers

Member:
    Colorado
    appreciate the response. will a new blade also go cocky-Wobbly or should I replace the clutch as well?

I did do a quick restart after shut down and started on cue, when running she ran smooth and quiet except a slight tick like a tappet or spark.

4. Jan 13, 2018 at 12:21 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    You shouldn't need a new fan clutch, unless yours is worn out of leaking.

5. Jan 14, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    ironslippers

Member:
    Colorado
    Update: the folllowing day I made 2nd radiator flush. Started right away, min smoke and after reaching operating temperature even less smoke. Still perplex by initial result the only thing I could come up with is that when I removed the bolts for the water pump I inadvertently removed a bolt beneth the water pump and then when I removed the water pump, some coolant rolled in. I would be suprised if the threads ran through to the interior to the block, and I still don't show coolant in my anti freeze.

Looking forward to seeing if there is a difference in stability when the new fan blade when it comes in. Now, on to replacing valve cover gaskets, I'll see ya in a new post.

Products Discussed in

To Top