1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 Tacoma AC Squeeling noise

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Karlg, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jul 15, 2008 at 6:48 AM
    Karlg

Karlg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma Lx 2.4L
    Hello from Karlg Houston Tx.
    Have 210 k miles on my 97 xcab 4 cyl. AC makes squeeling noise when starting up and at some intervals, still cooling to 40 deg., any suggestions? Is compressor on its last leg???

2. Jul 18, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    97YoterS

97YoterS Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4
    None of your business
    mine did that right before it went out, i have a 1997 2.7 Reg Cab 4x4, it went out around March, and I havent had it fixed since then, but i plan on fixing it next week, but yeah your A/C is bout to go out

3. Jul 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    jmoseler

jmoseler New Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    Buffalo
    not sure if you'll get more life out of the compresor, but consider getting it serviced. evacutate/recharge, sometimes the lubricant in the new charge in a refill can(hopefully) reduce the pressure on the bearings then give a bit more life out of it. maybe only temporary fix, but get you thru rest of the season. i guess theres a possiblity that your belt is a bit worn too; get that checked.

4. Jul 21, 2008 at 8:20 AM
    NavyNate06

NavyNate06 yeah i fix F/A-18s

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Toytec 3 inch coilovers, OME springs/shocks, Toytec shackles, rattle can paint job, lc headers,
    is it kind of a holwing? if not then i must have another problem. my A/C seems to howl at around 1750 rpms. i was thinking it might be the pump but wouldn't it get worse as the rpms increase?

5. Jul 21, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    RoadKill

RoadKill Northern Alliance: padawan

Member:
    North of the border
    Vehicle:
    First gen 4x4
    285x70x17 offset rims+ 1.5 spacers, rear Timbrens + 3 inch lift add a leaf, Sway-a-way coilovers + camburg control arms, Fender flares (2.5 inch), clear lights, headers, sliders, roll bar
    I had this happend to me, it was the idle pulley bearing worned out, costed me 5$ to replace it. :D
    that pulley revs alot since it is so small, I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same problem, check before investing big bucks

6. Jul 21, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    NavyNate06

NavyNate06 yeah i fix F/A-18s

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Toytec 3 inch coilovers, OME springs/shocks, Toytec shackles, rattle can paint job, lc headers,
    thats kind of what i thought. and youre right it is easy and cheap. i had to change one on my old mazda glc, except it was the water pump since it didn't have A/C. thanks for the thought.

7. Jul 21, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Definately check the idler pulley. It's the lowest pulley on the truck and is exposed to a lot of water/moisture (especially if you offroad). It's the first thing that goes....

Mine went out on my 96. I bought two new bearings from a machine shop. Installed it....and it only lasted a couple days. The grease inside the new bearings heated up and oozed out. So I ended up buying the entire assembly from the dealer.

If you wanna put bearings in it - just make sure they're the proper bearings for automotive and/or high rpm range. And make sure you check it after you run it for a day....

8. Jul 21, 2008 at 10:23 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    im with janster and roadkill........check the idler pulley definitely. may be a cheaper fix than you think......hopefully anyway.

9. Jul 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    This thought might be completely wrong but how out r ur belts on ur truck. may b the belts out and squeeling when ur compressor kicks on.

Products Discussed in

To Top