1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 5 speed manual rolls while parked in gear?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by StaticFilter, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    StaticFilter

StaticFilter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cedar Hills, UT
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue FJ Cruiser
    Lifted, N-Fab steps, Roof rack light bar, Grill guard, Volant Snorkel (not installed ye)
    I never found my truck sitting out in the road or several feet from where i parked it before now, I'd have noticed it :) It's easy to notice it trying to run me over as i'm trying to load my son in the back seat haha

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

haha true that. i was just thinking if i parked my truck came out side and it was moved a couple feet down from my garage i dont know if i would notice

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    That's what I was talking about... I had some friends push me out of my parking spot and get me going down a hill.

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i did that with my car like a week ago. do you know why it didnt start like a quad/dirtbike would?

because your battery is so dead it wont push fuel through your injectors

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Yeah I've noticed it'll work when the battery isn't totally dead... as in the starter will try but just clicks. I figured it was either fuel pump not firing up or injectors. This was even beyond jumpstarting... Had to get a charger and just leave it for like a day.

6. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    on my truck, the brakes self-adjust when I pull the parking brake handle. on some vehicles, braking in reverse does the same thing. There is no need for you to tear anything apart. Jack up the rear wheels, get under the truck and look on the backing plate behind the wheel. On the lower section, there should be an oblong rubber plug. If you remove this and look inside, you will see a wheel with teeth on it. This is the adjusting wheel for the drum brakes. Rotate this until just before you feel a drag on the spinning wheel and you are good to go.

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    97yota4wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    lol mine wouldnt even hold a charge with jumper cables, or a charger hooked to it for 3 days. had to get a new battery:(

8. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    lbhsbz

lbhsbz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Except for toyota adjusters are on top right below the wheel cylinders. the rubber plug will be directly below the bleeder screw and brake line connection, offset a bit to one side of the backing plate. While this is one way to adjust it, it's not the best way.

Shoes require adjustment when either the shoes wear or the drum wears or both. A lot of aftermarket shoes are more abrasive than the OE shoes and will wear the drum...if you keep adjusting it though the service hole in the backing plate, it'll be a bitch to get the drums back off when the shoes do need to be replaced...you'll have to go through that same hole with 2 little screwdrivers to hold the lock lever off the star wheel and un-adjust the shoes to clear the lip on the drum so you can remove the drum.

Just pull the wheels and pull the drum off, use the opportunity to peel back the boots on the wheel cylinder to check for leaks, inspect the shoe lining thickness, measure the drum, and if the shoes have worn into the drum leaving any kind of a lip on the backside of it, measure the drums to make sure they're not oversized. If they're still within spec, take them somewhere and have the lip machined off of them, or do it with a grinder (just try to stay out of the actual friction surface of the drum as much as possible). Also while you're in there, pry the shoes away from the backing plate a bit and put some grease on the contact points (3 for each shoe) on the backing plate. Then adjust them up close, put the drum back on, finish adjusting through the service hole in the backing plate, and you're done.

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    I can guarantee you this is not true. On a steep hill, a car can just start to roll away. It will be very jerky because the engine is turning over and going against the compression, but depending on the car and hill, it can start moving by itself, and actually accelerate.

Things that would help prevent this are lower gearing, larger engine displacement, higher compression, more driveline friction (fwd vs rwd vs awd)

Products Discussed in

To Top