1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 2.7L 3RZ starts then dies

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sspitzer, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Jun 17, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    sspitzer

sspitzer [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 3rz
    As the title states, I'm having issues with my truck dying after starting, 170k miles. The issue began about 2 months ago, once every 2 weeks it would start and die, and after the 3rd key turn and a little gas would fire up and run normal, CEL would pop but then would go off after the truck was turned off and back on again, had the code checked, can't recall the exact number but it was for my MAF sensor. Cleaned it and the issue seemed to resolve for about a month, then once again it started dying once every week or two upon start up, and then progressed to dying when coming to a stop / slowing down a few times, then progressed further to today, where it would fire up and immediately die. I replaced the MAF sensor, which after the replacement resulted in the truck starting up and idling, but when I'd give it gas it would sputter and want to die, I let it sit for an hour and tried starting it again just now and it is back to just starting and dying. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start, it'd be much appreciated.

2. Jun 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Wild-ass guess here, but could be the IAC or TPS. Have them checked out.

3. Jun 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven Yo

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    also sounds like a fuel delivery issue. fuel pump can provide enough pressure and/or flow to run the engine at idle or so, but when you go higher than that to warm up, bye!

when did you last replace the fuel filter??

4. Jun 17, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    sspitzer

sspitzer [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.7l 3rz
    I haven't replaced the fuel filter since I bought the truck so that is definitely something that I will be looking into. The thing is though that the CEL is popped right now, and every time I had it checked it was the same issue, something involving the MAF sensor, so I am assuming now- that it is the same code, I obviously haven't had it checked yet since the truck is stuck here at the house, but would something involving the fuel system cause that code to pop? It seems at this point though that it something either fuel or air related, I'm not too savvy with mechanics but I think I "should" be able to work my way around cleaning or replacing the IAC, and the fuel filter should be no problem as well...right now I'm confused because when I clenaed the MAF sensor the issue resolved for a month, then started back up, so it was replaced today, which then resulted in the truck being able to idle but stutter upon giving it gas, but then an hour later the issue resumed where it wouldn't even idle but would just start and die, so why would the new MAF sensor cause it to idle but only to continue dying an hour later?

5. Jun 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven Yo

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    because the fuel is so restricted the computer thinks its the MAF's fault. start with the fuel filter and go from there.

6. Jun 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    The exact trouble code might help.

Products Discussed in

To Top