1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Taco replacing the rear brake shoes guide?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Riptide, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jun 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Riptide

Riptide [OP] Knee Dragger

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    99' Black Tacoma TRD 4x4 6 cyl Ext Cab
    Matching bed cover, soon-to-be 01 front end conversion
    Hey folks, I blew an axle seal recently, spewing grease / oil all over the shoes and drum, so needless to say it needs to be replaced. Already fixed the seal. I sprayed brake cleaner all over the drum and made it pretty much spotless, but the shoes I know are an organic material so simply using brake cleaner will likely only clean the surface. I bought new shoes, and looking at the shoes and drum assembly, it reminds me of pinheads puzzle box from hellraiser. You start to take it apart and all hell breaks loose. Really don't like how all the springs are hidden behind different parts, the springs that you have to take off in order to get the shoes off. I don't have any special tools for the springs, but I do have access to a huge craftsman assorted tool box. Is there a step by step guide with pictures on this out there? Or is there a video? I searched all over Google and youtube, found nothing. Simply explaining it won't help on this mess... I think I may just have to return the brake shoes and do without 1 brake. I can't afford a mechanic and needs to be done by the end of the month so I can tow a 3000 pound trailer. Actually, needs to be done by tomorrow so I can drive back to work :) Anyone aware of any guides or video tutorials? Thanks all. :D

2. Jun 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Google and youtube are your friends. Took me about 20 seconds to find this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqZdUjUTgA&feature=related

You should get drum brake tools (mentioned in the video) at any auto parts shop, but it can be done with channel locks and heavy duty needle nose pliers.

Good luck.

3. Jun 17, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Riptide

Riptide [OP] Knee Dragger

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    99' Black Tacoma TRD 4x4 6 cyl Ext Cab
    Matching bed cover, soon-to-be 01 front end conversion
    Then you are a better man than I.

Multiple searches with multiple keywords and multiple sites. Looks like the magic words were the generic "toyota truck". I suppose Tacoma was too specific and all Toyota trucks are the same. Don't they change for certain model years, too? Ah whatever.

Thanks yo! :cool:

EDIT: Wait a sec! This is a different type of brake shoe / drum setup. The ones in my 99 Tacoma have several additional pins and springs..

4. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Good catch. I didn't notice it at first.

The video appears to be for a 5-lug 2wd. It might have a slightly different setup than a 6-lug, but the overall process should be about the same. If you have never done shoes before, this should help. It doesn't show all of every step of the process, though, there is some editing.

There have been some changes to the design over the years, but the only change I have experience with is the year 1986. I had a 84 4runner and the adjuster was on the bottom. In 86 they changed the overall design (larger diameter drum, and adjuster on the top, simpler overall design). I think the Tacomas are still using that same basic design, though.

Its always been a frustrating knuckle-busting job. You'll be swearing, so keep the kids in the house.
    Be sure to remove both wheels and drums, so you have the other side to refer to, when re-assembling, like they suggest.

5. Jun 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Do one side so the other can be a guide. My old drums started cracking a bit coming off.Had to give the drum a little hammer and some liquid wrench.Then just found some screws and push it out. Wish I had just bought new drums so I wouldn't have to do it twice.
    Also make sure you don't put on the parking brake.

Products Discussed in

To Top