1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Tacoma oil change is a Pain in the @$$

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by R6L8ver, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Feb 1, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    R6L8ver

R6L8ver [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Shortbed, Regular Cab, 4X4
    This will be my first post, so I figured I'd address one of my bigger pet peeves about my Tacoma. I've changed my own oil on all my vehicles before, but this Tacoma is the most miserable vehicle I've ever had as far as changing the oil. It's usually a 45 minute process which i don't think it ever should be and then I can NEVER get a really snug fit on my oil filter. Has anyone else had this issue? I searched the forum for other posts, but couldn't find anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Feb 1, 2008 at 3:33 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I have an 06 and it's a joy, what is it that makes yours so difficult ? oil plug location ? filter location ? do you have to remove any cross members ? :confused:

3. Feb 1, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    It's a slight pain in the ass for the V6, but not really, not sure how it is on the 4 banger.

4. Feb 1, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    R6,
    You've probably already tried this, but I'll throw this tip/trick out there. This is for the 95.5-2004 Tac's with the V6. I don't know about the 4 banger. Just before you change your oil, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. When you look inside the driver's wheel well, you will see the inner wheel well rubber mud guard. Carefully remove the plastic retainers holding the rubber splashguard in place (I happened to have the tool, but and old fork will do the trick). If you look toward the front of the wheel well opening you will have a straight on shot to the oil filter. If 'Jiffy Snappy the oil dork guys' changed your oil last, you can used the filter vise with a 3/8" drive ratchet, if it's too tight to turn by hand. If your really finicky about excess oil running from the filter (I was) getting all over the skid plate, use a piece of soda (or pop if you're from that part of the country) box cardboard to direct it away from the skid plate. With the wheel well trick, an oil change on my 1997 was 20 mins tops with greasing the drive shafts.

Anyhow, take it for what it's worth. Sure as hell beats removing the skid plate!

5. Feb 4, 2008 at 5:07 AM
    R6L8ver

R6L8ver [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Shortbed, Regular Cab, 4X4
    CtryBoy,

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried that the last time turning the wheel all the way and unfortunately, I have shorter arms and couldn't reach it to get it as tight as I wanted. My garage floor is nasty and rough and I couldn't get the jack stands to go high enough to keep my truck up in the air to take the tire off. I figured if I took the tire off, it might be easier. I guess if I take the time to figure out how to get the wheel off, that'd probably cut my oil changed time down to about 20min. like you said. Thanks for the tips!!

Products Discussed in

To Top