1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Tacoma prerunner transmission question?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Getsch, May 14, 2008.

1. May 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM
    Getsch

Getsch [OP] Member

Member:
    Savannah, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR 4x4
    I recently got a 99 tacoma prerunner xtra cab 2.7 and it has a small bug that seems to be in the transmission and I am wondering of anyone can help me diagnose it. When sitting in drive at a stop the transmission seems to keep in gear so that the engine seems to be fighting the brakes, but if you let of the brakes slowly and role an inch and stop again it will unload and be fine.

Any help?

2. May 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    There is an issue with the 05+ where there is a clunk when coming to a stop. It has something to do with the grease and the drive shaft connection. You might be having a similar problem. I'm sure someone here knows the actual problem I'm speaking of.

3. May 14, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    "Chris 4x4" says:The leaf springs on the Tacomas are on the soft side of the spectrum. That being said ( please follow me on this) When power is applied to the tires, the torque moves your rear axel up a little bit causing the springs to twist like an "S" just not as dramatic. When you are at crusing speed the springs relax into their normal state. Now, when comming to a stop ( with an auto and below about 15 m.p.h. ) your engine is still trying to turn the tires and the differential is moveing up a little bit twisting the springs. When you are stopped and let off the brakes or ease off them, the springs unload and you hear the "thump". A small amount a axel wrap is not a bad thing and is normal on most Tacomas. It can be tammed with the addition of an AAL. Blocks will amplify the problem and as they move the fulcrume point where the axel mounts on the springs, thus leading to premature wear on the springs. In many cases if the block is poorly made, they can shatter, crack, or whatever and cause a big problem.:)<<<this post in another forum from a very WISE Man on technical stuff-"Chris 4x4"..........this is your answer-no cause for great concearn:)

4. May 14, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    there is a part of the drivetrain that allows for a very slight change in length due to the suspension travel. As the truck slows quickly, the rear goes up. As you accelerate, the rear goes down. This change in height is what causes the change in effective driveshaft length. The part that allows the change in length(and causes the clunking) might have a stiff grease causing the problem.

True, a change in suspension could also help with the issue.

5. May 14, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Kinda off topic, but I greased the slip yoke bushing on my '99 Tacoma 4X4 with brand X. Started clunkin while taking off and stoping. Took it to the dealer and they said they repacked it with their Toyota grease and it did help. Six months later the bushing needed replacing anyway for excessive play. All I'm saying grease or defective my problems were with the slip yoke bushing. This caused a cluncking noise and a small surge type feeling upon occasion.

Products Discussed in

To Top