1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a arm clearance

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtaco, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Apr 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM
    jtaco

jtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok i have done some researching on the net and seems to me that im not the only one with hardly any clearance from the a arm to the tire. seems that lots of people complain about this on 05-07 tacos and chains or wire on the tires absolutly will not work no way possible.Also deflation for sand will not work either cause they will rubb bad. i had 2-3" suspension lift put on it and that helped maybe a tad bit. but i think i need some different a arms? could someone reccomend where to get a nice set at a decent price?
    would spacers help to or is that a bad idea? i plan on putting 16x8 rims with a better backspace then factory and also 265/75 r16 tires.

2. Apr 28, 2008 at 3:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What kind of lift are you running? Spacers (where are they mounted)? Coils?

A tire with more backspacing would definately help....

I wouldn't run wheel spacers unless you absolutely can't fix this other ways first.

3. Apr 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok i have skyjacker 3" susp lift with add a leaf. from what i can tell , only thing in front added was longer skyjacker struts. no lift spacers in this kit. yes i am currently looking into some 16x8 rims with 4 or 4.5 backspacing,. which do u suggest and which will give more clearance and will new arms help at all? some people have problems with aftermarket rims clearing the calipers on tacomas, is that a problem with 16x8s?

4. Apr 28, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    16's should clear the calipers no problem. the backspace is where you're gonna get your clearance. which a-arm is the one you're talking about? top or bottom?

5. Apr 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    the upper arm close to the top of tire. i was told to try 16x8 with 4 or 4.5 backspacing first and see if that gets me more clearance which it should.

6. Apr 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    So...your lift is a Coil replacement? Or is it an adjustable strut?

7. Apr 29, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ok kit did come with coils i think i dont know, i also got all new shocks(struts came with it), so i guess its an adjustable strut up front because here is the kit , the pic is not what it all has in it, u have to read where it says "kit includes" http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71785 . i got shocks that skyjacker sells for this kit also. hell of a deal with coils(if that is coils) and struts and leaf included. i know for sure it brought the front up level with the back and the whole thing a lil bit higher . but i dont know if front struts are adjustable or not. i dont think they are but there is no adapter spacer or block in front or back
    . ok can someone tell me difference or how much clearance difference there would be between these 2 rims?
    16x8 ,0mm offset and 4.5 backspacing, compared to a 16x8 , -11mm offset with 4" backspacing.
    how many inches does each one stick out past the fender?
    will the 4" backspacing clear the caliper on my 05 tacoma?

To Top