1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C not cooling

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyboy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Jun 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    toyboy

toyboy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Brampton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    Hey all, it seems my a/c is not working in my 2005 tacoma. there is pressure in the system, but the compressor doesn't seem to be working. (it's not spinning when i press the a/c button). it will try to turn for a few seconds then disengages. when I got my hand down there it seemed the clutch was very sloppy, is it supposed to be that way. I have a feeling the compressor is gone. Any suggestions?

2. Jun 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    06sr5prerunner

06sr5prerunner DILIGAF

Member:
    First Name:
    luis
    midland tx
    Vehicle:
    2006 sr5 prerunner
    bhlm paint wheels duplicolor plasti dip white grill. billies 5100. bf goodrich at 285's 75 16 black valence led corner lights expedition bed rack by anb fabrication spidertrax wheel spacers rotopax fuel tanks 4gal mounted on bed rack quickfist mounts for shovel. ddm hid kit 35watt 6000k hi/low beam
    check relays and fuses. not sure on tacomas but i know most vehicles have them on the engine bay

3. Jun 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Had this happen to my previous Tacoma ('05) last summer. I was riding along on a hot summer day, and then I heard a nasty screeching sound for a few seconds, then lost all cool air. Mechanic told me I had to replace the condenser and compressor (after extensively checking everything else). I had just been temporarily laid off, and couldn't afford to do the work on it at the time, so just lived without a/c.

Started working again and sold some property, so I decided to trade in the '05 and get a 2012...rather than spend the money to fix the a/c. Wish I could share with you some resolution to my problem, but I'm no auto mechanic, and I ended up just selling the problem to someone else.

4. Jun 19, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    How did you check pressure? By pushing in the schrader valve and releasing a bit of juice? (tsk, tsk!)

The AC compressor cycles on and off based on low side system pressure. If the AC is low on charge, the compressor will barely run. Sounds like what you are describing.

The last time this happened to me it was on a Jeep Cherokee. There were no signs of leaking AC oil under the hood and I suspect it was leaking under the dash (big job to fix). I went down the Kragen and bought a can of R134a. It came with a hose that attached to the low side AC access valve and to the can of R134a. There is a small gauge attached also that shows the proper low side pressure range. For $20 or so, I'd start there.

BTW, it's legal for you to walk in to the auto parts store and buy R134a in a small can. It is not legal for you to work on the AC system yourself without a license to do so. I don't understand why. Home HVAC and appliances (what I do) you need to have a license to even buy the stuff, and you can only buy it in a 30LB tank. My point being, be careful who sees you messing around with this in your driveway. It's illegal to knowingly and willfully vent the stuff to the atmosphere. It's perfectly legal to drive around with it leaking out on it's own though.

On our Jeep, I charged the system up once a year for a few years until we sold it. Not the right way to do it if you are going to keep it forever, but it's a quick way to get AC going until you have the money to deal with it properly. It's probably going to be expensive if you have to pay to get it done.

Edit: I see you're in Ontario. Not sure if that changes the legality of this or not. Best to do this sort of thing in the garage if in doubt.

5. Jun 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM
    toyboy

toyboy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Brampton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    I checked the pressure with a gauge just like you described. the reading I got was about 40psi. I have my HVAC licence so I know not to release refrigerent to the atmosphere. I bought this truck in January from a retired service technician who told me that when the a/c started acting up, he heard a terrible noise and then it stopped working.
    Is the low side pressure reading that I got in the right range or is it too low?

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Hey OP, not to jack the thread, but while you are on the subject of AC it may be a good time to ask and it may be relative to your case as well.

I turned my truck on one hot summer day and the AC was already switched on. It ran for a few seconds and I heard a pretty good pop from somewhere up front. It quit blowing cold for quite a while. It now blows cool-a little cold and sometimes cycles in and out. Before, it would freeze you out on low. Now I have to crank it up quite a bit. I dont remember a screeching, but it did sound like it was grinding for just a bit. Any clue what this could be? Could they have over charged it and it did some damage to the compressor or something? Or maybe a clutch issue? I was stupid not to take it in when I had warranty.

What are typical pressures? I have a buddy with gauges I can check them with.

Products Discussed in

To Top