1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C Performance during Highway Cruise

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by will.carroll7, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Aug 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM
    will.carroll7

will.carroll7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    When I first start the truck my A/C is super ice cold. I've been very impressed with it since I bought the truck. It feels great in the 110 degree Memphis heat we've been having. However, I've been traveling some longer distances recently and I've noticed that after about 45 minutes of driving (with the A/C set to Max Cool and the A/C button illuminated with re-circulation on) the A/C warms up. Now the air coming out isn't warm and is cooler than the ambient air, but it's nowhere near what the air conditioner is able to do. Once it gets stuck in this "mode" even turning the fan speed up doesn't keep the cabin as cool as I'd like, and the only way I can get it to switch back to being very cold is to turn the A/C off for a while. Any ideas?

I'm taking the truck into the dealership on Monday to squeeze the last bit I can out of the 36,000 mile warranty. Any chance they'll fix it/be able to fix it?

2. Aug 20, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    Try turning off recirculate after 10 minutes or so. Your evaporator may be freezing up and blocking air flow. You also get less musty smells from A/C when using fresh.

3. Aug 21, 2016 at 2:59 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Sounds like your evap coil freezing

Not sure about in your state but here checking AC systems can get expensive.

If the pressure is low they need to check for leaks can`t just top off the system and call it good

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Aug 21, 2016 at 3:49 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Evap freeze up is high suspect. There is a sensor that lays on the face of the evap that is failing/has failed.

Since it's under warranty I'd be very specific about pointing out the behavior of the problem, and even giving them a hint about the possible solution.

If they say 'we checked it, all is good', have them document your complaint, because it won't be fixed. The documentation should let you return after the warranty ends to have it fixed on their dime.

5. Aug 21, 2016 at 4:23 AM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely let the dealer know every detail about the problem and have my complaint documented. The evap freezing up sounds very plausible now that you mention it as sometimes I'll notice "snow" coming out of the vents when the A/C is working very well and if I turn the car off after it "freezes up" I'll notice a little condensation dripping inside the car on the passenger side. Hopefully I can get it fixed without too much trouble.

6. Aug 21, 2016 at 8:21 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Bingo. That's what we needed to hear. And I bet the rest of the sentence would be 'right before the air flow drops and warms'.

Hope for an astute service writer/tech, one who is well seasoned with AC, so they 'get it' when you describe it.

Let us know the resolution, for the good of the order and all that.

Aussiek2000 likes this.
  7. Aug 21, 2016 at 4:27 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    I messed with it some more during a long trip today. You're spot on about the air flow and temperature. I was able to keep the cabin cool by turning off the compressor and letting the ice thaw whenever I noticed the airflow drop.

8. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:09 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Once things get cooled off, try going off of recirc. That will bring in warmer air. If it still freezes up you could be (a) low on freon or (b) the Tx valve sensing bulb has a leak and is letting the evap core get too cold.

9. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    It still freezes up with re circulation off. If anything I think it freezes up faster because it's so humid here.

10. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Bilstein 5100, OME 885X, LR UCA, ARB/EL095R, ES LCA Rack & Sway Bar Bushings, Yellow Wire Mod, ABS Switch, TPMS Mod, Scanguage, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Extang Trifecta Cover, Fumoto Drain Valve
    Is your compressor running full time?

11. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    Had it set to Max A/C. How do I tell if the compressor runs full time?

12. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    Armkb

Armkb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Visually with the hood up or just listen for it cycling on and off.

13. Aug 21, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    The sensor that has failed cycles the compressor when the evap gets to roughly 36, to prevent the freezing. Other inputs create cycling as well, but running on coldest recirculation it would normally run continuously except for that sensor.

14. Aug 21, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    I just attempted to test this in my driveway. I can't get the A/C to freeze up just sitting there, even if I hold the engine at highway speed (2500 RPM) continuously. With the truck stationary, the A/C seems to work as intended: very cold, no ice, air flow good. I didn't notice the compressor ever turn off sitting in the driveway but I also ran it for a while and didn't see any signs of freezing (frost/snow coming out of vents, reduced air flow). I suppose I'll tell this to Toyota tomorrow and have them check both the refrigerant level and that sensor.

Edit: My best guess is that the increased airflow while driving allows the A/C to exchange more heat. Considering the A/C works fine as said in my driveway, this would presumably point to the sensor being broken, not low refrigerant?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  15. Aug 21, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Edit: I agree with your edit above.

The test doesn't work because there is only fan created air flow. You need the road air flow for max system efficiency.

Don't confuse the issue by telling them what you have and haven't done, or read here. Just describe the exact behavior, on the road. They'll check (or should check) gas pressures, cycling functions etc. anyway.

But they'll need your details to dig to test/replace the sensor.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  16. Aug 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    Update:

Took it to the dealer today. They said that the previous owner had put way too much refrigerant in the system and they found no lubrication oil for the compressor. They told me doing this is their first step and since they can't go test the vehicle for long periods on the highway, for me to come back if the problem still occurred. They added dye to the refrigerant so that if there is a leak, they can find it next time. Just from my drive home from the dealer the A/C seemed to be performing better (no ice or frost but still very cold :)) though I didn't get above 50mph on my drive home. I'll post an update when I find out if it's still freezing up on the highway and again in a few weeks if I see that there is no leak.

17. Aug 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    I hope it works out for you, but it sounds odd to me.

Why would a 13 have had AC work done?
    Why would a vehicle under warranty had the AC worked on by the PO?
    If the system was significantly overcharged, why didnt it shut off/cycle on high pressure?

OTOH, if the evap sensor is bad, your problem will recur when you repeat your conditions.

Keep us posted how it works out!

18. Aug 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    I agree, it's all very strange. Hopefully it works out. That isn't the first weird thing about this vehicle either. The original color was apparently magnetic gray as well, at some point the PO had it painted white then sold it shortly after.
    The good news is that I asked Toyota to take a look at the rest of the car since it was new to me and tell me if they saw anything unusual and they said that the vehicle (aside from the A/C) seemed to be in good working condition and that I shouldn't need to worry about anything.

19. Aug 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    There should be a color code in the door jamb, or a vin input into the Toyota website will tell you the color the truck came.

Could it be it came white and used replacement parts were painted after an accident? One in which the AC was damaged, then improperly repaired? If the owner did the work outside of insurance, nothing would show on carfax.......

20. Aug 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    will.carroll7

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 LR
    I've put the VIN in to the Toyota website and it lists it as magnetic gray. I can also see on any part of the car if there is a small chip, magnetic gray is under it. Areas they didn't bother to paint like the area between the bed and the cab are magnetic gray.

Products Discussed in

To Top