1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Few Questions from a new tacoma owner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tjdriscoll, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Nov 3, 2007 at 8:36 AM
    tjdriscoll

tjdriscoll [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07, Tacoma Std Cab, 2WD, 5-M, 2.7 L I4, Indigo
    OEM Foglights, iPod adapter, Bedlights-Underbody lights, more to come soon.
    Hi everybody.
    I recently bought a 2007 tacoma this past august. Its a 4x2 with the 2.7L I-4 and the 5-speed manual. I have to say, its really a great truck. I've always been partial to american cars, specifically the dodge dakota, but when i test drove this baby, I instantly fell in love with it.

So I've had it for a couple of months and I think its time do do some upgrades. This week i'm installing some fog lights with MotoXFreeStyle61's very helpful directions. But now I'm looking in to tires. Currently i have the stock 14" Firestone Destination LE tires. I think that they're ok but they dont do well in the rain. I live in Massachusetts where we get a lot of rain in the spring and fall and a good amount of snow in the winter. I've also been looking to increase the size to about a 16". (the 14's look too small against the body) I like the Goodyear Wrangler tires so i my go with those. What do you guys think of them?? and do you have any thoughts as to other brands??? Also, i want to keep with the stock look, so i'm looking for the 16" alloy rims that the 4x4 has but i can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know where i can get them???

thanks a lot for you help. any imput is welcome.

2. Nov 3, 2007 at 8:39 AM
    WildcaTaco

WildcaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab V6 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Removed Secondary Air Filter
    Unless i'm mistaken (50/50 chance) the 16" 4x4 rims aren't compatible with your truck, as they are 6 lug and unless you have the prerunner you'd have 5 lugs.

3. Nov 3, 2007 at 10:35 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    for the tires, the goodyear wranglers are good but you may also want to check out the coopers, they make a pretty knobby tire with a good treadwear rating and they are fairly cheap. for the wheels, if you do have a 5lug and not the 6lug, i'd say just get a set of aftermarket 16" wheels with the new tires. they shouldn't be too expensive and you can find ones that will look perfect on your truck.

i traded in a 95 v8 4x4 dakota for my taco :cool: i wish i would've kept it tho so i could keep trashing it and jumping it out at my buddies farm just for fun haha, that truck was very reliable even with the 160k miles it had

4. Nov 3, 2007 at 11:08 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    and i also thought that even on the 5 luggers, the stock rim was 15"?

5. Nov 3, 2007 at 11:17 AM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i believe they are 15" whees, due to the fact that even tho you have smaller brakes, a 14" wheel wouldnt clear them

6. Nov 12, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, let us talk about tires. I used to drive on Goodyear Wranglers many years ago when the tread pattern was different, back then; damn fine tire, now not so much. I really like Coopers, I have had good milage and performance with out the big name expense. B.F Goodrich are REALLY good tires but you will pay alot of money for them, they are owned by Michelin, which are once again Really good tires. Increasing the rim size will enhance the look of your truck but you will sacrifice gas milage, rolling resistance is multiplied when said changes are made. Also you will wack your odometer, which will throw your pre-set computer data out the window. This will help you on that journey, go to Google and google tires; on one of the many pages there will be a tire size calculator. The directions are pretty straight forward; imput the original tire size, also rim size; then the new tire size/ rim size and it will tell you what your speed will actually be at 60 mph. Adjust as needed to zero it out.:ballchain:

7. Nov 12, 2007 at 5:34 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I've said it on other threads and I'll throw it out here. The Firestone Destination AT's are reasonably priced and perform well year round on and off road.

Products Discussed in

To Top