1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by drshirk, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feb 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    drshirk

drshirk [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have an '02 tacoma. The 4WD doesn't work and the check engine light is on. I took it to Toyota dealer and they said that I have a bad O2 sensor. He said the one in the back. The part number from Toyota is 89467-35001. I am somewhat handy and I think I can replace this myself or have a friend do it. They also said that the Front Differential Add Switch is not working. This is why the 4WD isn't working. Does this sound correct? He said the part number for that is 41400-34013. Again I am hoping I can buy the part and fix it myself. The dealer wants $1395 to replace these items. I found this on ebay but I am not sure if they are the right parts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORG-WARNER...yota|Model:Tacoma&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c3bd114b O2 sensor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-T100...yota|Model:Tacoma&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e6362c30b Front Diff Add switch

I would like to know how I can verify these are the correct parts. I don't want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks for the help...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Not sure on the 4wd since I no longer have that suspension type.. But the O2 sensor looks correct. This stuff isn't too hard to replace as long as you have a solid ground to work on it. Possibly jack up the truck and crawl under it to make it easier.

3. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    Where is the O2 sensor located? Anyone have thoughts on the 4wd?

4. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

On the exhaust pipe. Should have O2 sensors before cats, then after cats. You should replace them all at the same time. Just unplug the wiring harness and unscrew the sensor. So simple. They even make special O2 sensor sockets that have a notch in em for the wire, or just use a box wrench. 24mm?

5. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I am new to the Tacomas so your advice is very helpful. I am wondering what exactly the Front Differential Add Switch does. I am going to search it on google but if any one knows how it works and what it does please let me know. :)

6. Feb 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    drshirk

Member:
  7. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    It looks like the piece that is attached to the front diff. You may try to check all your connections before replacing the part, ie. electrical and vaccum. Never know if something just came loose somewhere.

8. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    drshirk

Member:
  9. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

10. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    My engine is the 4cyl. 2.7 I believe. Thanks for the quick replys. I did a search on this site and found that the accuator for the 4WD uses vacum to work. It siad to check the hoses to make sure of no holes or tears so I will be checking that out tomorrow. Thanks again.

11. Feb 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

Try this site as a reference for your parts search http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

12. Feb 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    tacoma04

tacoma04 Laissez les bons temps rouler

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Northern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB BBP
    I can't help you on the 4x4 problem, but hopefully this helps with the O2 sensor problem.

The dealer said it was the back O2 sensor, so that should mean the downstream sensor. You think you have a 2002 4cyl 2.7. First, make sure that is your engine. According to Rock Auto, it doesn't matter if it is auto or manual and the sensor is the same for both 4cyl engines. The downstream Denso sensor is Part # 2344189 at the following link.

Downstream O2 sensor

Use Denso. Others on here have used universal sensors and had problems with them. The Densos are OE and work very well. That is what I have used.

13. Feb 28, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    drshirk

Member:
    Awesome, thanks for the help!!

14. Mar 1, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

x2, Def go with a high quality plug vs economy.

Products Discussed in

To Top