1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A51865 Radio Replacement

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by spithead051, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    spithead051

spithead051 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    Hey guys,

I've been doing research and I guess due to the rarity of my setup I have been unable to find much information about the stereo setup in my Tacoma. The only thing I have been able to figure out is that it is actually a Panasonic unit and not a JBL

I have a 2009 Access Cab TRD OR with the upgraded stereo that has the 6-CD changer, steering wheel controls, AUX input, 6 speakers and the subwoofer between the jump seats in the back.

I'm looking into upgrading to a Kenwood DNX6980 unit and besides the dash kit, what adapters/harnesses will I need to order to get everything I have working with the new head unit. SAT radio is not a concern for me even though I have the antenna.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Here's a picture of the head unit:
    2012-02-08_17-34-53_148_9e9b4254b66abd61f1b6f2e34dedf55793c7d134.jpg

2. Jun 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    cabra

cabra Member

Member:
    Calexico California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Pioner Stereo
    good afternoon are you selling it?
    if you are what would be the price shipped to 92231..

thanks...

3. Jun 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I have the same set up in mine. It is an 09 as well. Look on Crutchfield and make sure you put in your year, make and model and then start looking at different radios. Their web site will tell you whether the selected radio will fit in your Tacoma. I am looking at getting a nav system, am/fm, cd player, etc, etc. The Crutchfield site also shows the plug in wiring systems you will need to direct connect to your existing wiring once the radio is removed.
    There is helpful info on here on how to wire your existing backup camera into the head unit without buying a more expensive camera, wiring, etc.

4. Jun 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    Not looking to sell at the moment due to the cost to get a new Kenwood.

I did do some research on Cructhfield but I was curious if my head unit and subwoofer combo would require a special JBL or non-JBL adapter because it is kind of an in-between setup.

Products Discussed in

To Top