1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A750F removal and Driveplate/Flexplate swap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XPOTRPR, May 22, 2015.

1. May 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [OP] CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    So after looking around and doing some research, I came up empty handed on an any write-ups or issues with the 2nd Gen flexplate/Driveplate. 1st Gen, yes.. Could it be I just have bad luck and I am the only one with Flexplate issues on a 2nd Gen? If so.. I'll take that as good.. good that its not a regular issue.

First of all, Truck Specs:

09 Auto 4x4 1GR-FE
    TRD S/C
    URD 2.8" pulley
    URD Spec-U Headers
    High Clearance Y-Pipe into 3"
    IPT Valve Body Upgrade

Ok, on to my issue. A few months ago, I noticed a rotational/mechanical, chirp/squeak sound coming from the drive-train of my truck. At first, myself and a few other helpful members (who I appreciate their help tremendously, thanks Tor and Lucario!) first thought it might be rod knock. I had the truck diagnosed and was assured it wasn't rod knock, or anything engine related. I began to dig deeper and realized it was definitely coming from the bell housing/torque converter area. I removed the inspection cover, and got my ear as close as I could to see where the issue was coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O50OMK4ZIrc

After talking to a couple Transmission shops, it was diagnosed as the flexplate possibly being cracked, loose, etc. Quotes from the shops came back at $700 including parts and labor. $200 for the Flexplate from Camelback Toyota (PN - 3210160060)

I contacted John at IPT and explained the situation and the symptoms I was experiencing, looking for answers regarding if the Valve Body Upgrade would have had any relation to this issue. John quickly reassured me it would not have had any affect...

So.. I started gathering info on doing the replacement myself. Since I didnt find any other 2nd Gen flexplate threads.. I figured I would try and document as much as I could, as well as gather any and all insight, tips, pointers, and information for myself and any others. I will be ordering the flexplate today, with an arrival of tomorrow.. and will begin this adventure Sunday morning.

List-o-parts:

Flexplate - PN 3210160060 - $200
    6 Quarts of Toyota ATF - $41
    Trans drain plug gasket - $4

:cheers: TW

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. May 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    subbed! Good luck!

3. Jun 20, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Wow this is a big project to take on. At the thread title I thought you were swapping to a 6MT

4. Jun 20, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. Here's an update with how it went.

I cannot thank Jason @05TacoRunner enough for the help. About 4 hours to remove.. an hour to reinstall.

Unfortunately... when we inspected the flexplate.. there seemed to be no visible evidence of it being the cause of my symptoms, but we swapped it out for the new one anyways. I cant fully tell if it helped or not. I still hear (although it may not be as prominent as before) the sound/issue I was experiencing before. I will be keeping an eye on it, and if anything else changes.. or it gets worse.. I'll take it into a Transmission shop again for further investigation.

In the end.. I'm not mad about it. It was a great learning experience and I feel more comfortable with larger projects like this. Thanks again for the help and guidance Jason. :cheers:

new vs old.. no differences

As of now, the truck runs fine. It's just the slight noise im hearing. No slipping of the trans, loss of power, etc. I might just need to suck it up, drop the OCD, and not worry about it that much.. Like I said.. It's still drives great.. :burnrubber:

5. Jun 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Everyone's got noises in their trucks and they're usually there for a reason. Some of them are just the there and some of them are bad. Hopefully yours is just there :)

6. Jun 20, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    The symptoms point to a flex plate/torque converter. But.. I've done that step obviously.. So yeah.. Idk. Lol

7. Jun 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Well, congrats on the work, it's always fun learning new things to work on these trucks. I'd love to help put with something like that (on someone else's truck first lol). Hopefully it's just something stupidly easy to replace and you are mishearing the location

8. Jul 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Drewypewy

Drewypewy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    05 doublecab tacoma 4x4
    It the 2 small holes on bottom of the bell housing the the only holes i got to take the flexplate of torque converter

Products Discussed in

To Top