1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to pull the trigger on OME

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gobias, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    gobias

gobias [OP] as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    So after saving my sheckles for the past couple months I'm about to go ahead and buy the OME kit but I have just a couple questions first.

I'm looking at getting 881's on OME struts, rear OME shocks, no diff drop, and 2" Toytec AAL's

1. How much of a lift am I looking at getting with the 881's
    2. I've read that a diff drop is not needed if it's less than a 3" lift. T or F?
    3. Will my stock U bolts handle the AAL fine? My truck is from Cali and the U bolts look good as new right now. No rust. Just worried about the length.

Any other tips?

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    1. Not sure exactly, but I think the OME setup is a 2"er? I would definitely steer away from a heavier than recommended spring unless you're running a winch.
    2. The diff drop seems to be more of a 'mental upgrade', if you think you need it, you'll feel better if you put one on; there are good arguements for it and without it. I chose to skip it, no regrets. With on: slightly better CV angles but also 1" less clearance there.
    3. Your stock U-bolts should be long enough, you will only be adding 3/8" of thickness to your leafpack with the AAL. It is recommended that you use new U-bolts for the AAL but I've reused U-bolts many times in the past, no prob; just be careful of the threads when geting them out and in. (check out the AllPro U-bolt flip kit. I just put one on and really like the added clearance and the smoother look underneath, about $50, requires a bit of mod to keep the stock bumpstops, easy if you have a cut wheel and a drill)

Also, depending on the look you like, lifting the rear about 1" less than the front will make the truck level: ie 2" front and 1" back will sit about level. 2" front and 2" back makes it about 1" ass-high.

3. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    I just put on an OME suspension a month ago. The ride is incredible.

1. You should get around 2" of lift.

2. I went with a diff drop because it was only $30.00 and labor was free. It does NOT take away ground clearance as nvdeserted said. There is a cross member that is lower than the factory diff location. When it is dropped it is level or slightl higher than the cross member. So you still have the same clearance as before. If you have manual hubs you probably don't need it. If you have automatic hubs I would highly consider it.

3. Never reuse Ubolts - they stretch overtime and can be a safety issue.

Also Ubolt flip kits over compress the shocks and are not the best idea.

I would highly recommend replacing the leaf springs with the OME dakars. You will be glad you did.

Products Discussed in

To Top