1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS and VSC lights came on. Tachometer and temperature gauge quits . Problem solved.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bender581, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Nov 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    About half way into a 200-mile trip today my ABS light and VSC light comes on. I figured the brake fluid might be low and didn't give it much thought. About ten minutes later the tachometer and temperature gauge quits working. Twenty minutes later the tach and temp starters working again. Then they stop working and then start working. The ABS and VSC lights stay on through all this. I stopped for a meal, and when I started the truck everything was normal. Ten minutes later the ABS and VSC light come on. Twenty minutes later the tach and temp guage starts their off again and on again routine. This is a 2012 SR 5, V6, 4X4. Any thoughts?

2. Nov 14, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Your going to have to pull codes to see what's going on. Don't poke and hope.

3. Nov 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM
    Bender581

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    I unplugged my Ultra Gauge, and everything is working correctly now. Thanks guys for replying. I checked for loose ground connections. Battery checked out ok. I had decided to take it in Monday morning but pulling the Utra gauge first just in case. Problem solved.

4. Nov 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    I wonder how the ultra gauge could possibly cause that. It's just plugged into the obd2 port isn't it?

5. Nov 15, 2015 at 4:37 PM
    Bender581

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    I don't know. It might not be a cause and effect. The dash gauges and Ultra Gauge get information from the same sources. It could be something else that will pop up again. If the problem does not repeat again, I will plug the Ultra Gauge back in and see what happens. I will report back either way.

6. Nov 18, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    zimmmtaco

zimmmtaco Better than it was before it got like it is

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northwestern PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB Blue Ribbon Met 4x4 OR, 6MT
    TRD Pro susp kit 265/75R16 BFG K02's Husky Floormats Vent visors Hella 500 on custom mount
    Just experienced a similar problem on my truck related to the Ultragauge after having the truck aligned due to the suspension upgrade.
    Did the lift and drove it to work Monday and had the alignment done while at work - ABS light and VSC indicator were both off. Truck was aligned and the VSC recalibrated - I assume this is done using the OBD port. Driving the truck home that night, the ABS light comes on followed by VSC. I figured great, I stretched one of the ABS wires doing the lift install or set point was done incorrectly. Get home, turn the truck off and then restarted to move it, and the lights were off, move truck around, trying to get ABS & VSC lights back on - but they stay off. Drive to work Tuesday morning 3-4 mile into the trip ABS & VSC lights come on. Stop at post office, restart truck, VSC & ABS lights are out, drive another 3-4 miles and Ultragauge beeps and shuts off, ABS & VSC light illuminate on the dash.... GOt to work, shut truck off and then unplugged Ultraguage, then reconnected it and restarted truck, lights remained off. ABS and VSC lights did not illuminate for the ride home yesterday or in to work this morning total of approx. 50 miles and Ultrgauge is working properly as well.......

At this point it would appear that the Ultragauge Connection in the OBD port must have been poor and caused some feedback to the power train control system.

7. Nov 18, 2015 at 1:38 PM
    Bender581

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    I still have mine unplugged. A poor connection at the OBD port is my hope. I use the Utra Gauge's speedometer for a more accurate measure. I'll wait until Saturday before I plug it back up.

8. Nov 19, 2015 at 4:17 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX
    Personally I don't think it was a poor connection but a failed Ultra Guage. Contact them and explain what's going on. Most likely they are aware of it and may have a fix for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top