1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS disable mod for 05+ Tacomas w/o VSC & locking diff write up *pics*

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rodstone, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Thank you!:)

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    No problem. Figured id be nicer than just yelling to use the search. :)

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    sub. ABS about put me in the ditch in snow 2 times this winter. and about put me in to a fence out back when it was raining and kinda muddy.

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I regret not being able to devote more time to helping people with this... But I think you have the right idea. Can you take a picture and post what your IB1 plug looks like? Were you successful with this?

5. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Will the bypass also disable the AUTO LSD / TRAC selections ?

6. Feb 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Sub'd..............for near future free mod.

7. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    AirTime604

AirTime604 Member

Member:
    B.C., Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Taco DC SB 6-speed
    Too many...Will update this...
    So you tap into this wire (blue-yellow stripe), and then run it into a switch? Sorry bout the noob question, very interested in doing this mod right the first time. Thanks

8. Mar 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    5LUGTACO

5LUGTACO Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA 5 LUG
    Total Chaos Mid Travel, Sway away coilovers,31x10.50x15 goodyear wrangler authority's
    This will work for a non locking diff truck?

9. Mar 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    That's the idea. I haven't done it myself yet, but as soon as a few other projects are done I will be.

10. Mar 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    5LUGTACO

5LUGTACO Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA 5 LUG
    Total Chaos Mid Travel, Sway away coilovers,31x10.50x15 goodyear wrangler authority's
    Nice, I hate the way my brakes are off-road

11. Mar 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    m21knight

m21knight Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Vermont
    Vehicle:
    12' TRD Sport DC
    Hardwired Radar Detector Mod,
    If you perform the ground splice, you need to add a current limiting resistor to prevent a blown fuse. I would try a 1k resistor in line, also a resetable breaker smaller than the fuse that is blowing might prevent an unexpected fuse problem, you could also use a fuse in place of the breaker. All of these items are usually available from Radio Shack.

12. Mar 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    hey guys. thanks to all the helpfull ppl on here. i did this mod today. for the record my truck does NOT have lockers and DOES have VSC (car w/ squiggly line button). I have L.Green wire where others have Blue w/ yellow tracer. I used this LG wire. Mod went smooth (yes the blanks just pop out) I used the spot where Down Hill Assist button would be. Took no time at all. (cut LG wire move to sw. out of sw. back to LG wire. Beauty! works great, on the fly ability to shut off ABS but, turns off VSC as well (car w/ squiggly lines OFF indicator). So now it defeats my yellow wire mod and my 4H version of LSD. I can just turn back on ABS so its no biggy, but kind of a pain. Any solutions out there where i could Turn off ABS but leave VSC active??? I went and got stuck in some snow after doing this mod so I am pretty confident about it defeating my Yellow wire mod :)
    (i will figure something out to fill in the gaps around new sw.)

photo (1).jpg
    photo (2).jpg

13. Mar 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Namtinker

Namtinker Member

Member:
    AB, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    OK guys, I'm now cross-eyed from reading about the various methods to shut down the abs. Tried the method above, just ended up with the blown 10A fuse - and since I dislike the smell of burning wires... Tried the brake light like Sandman - no luck.
    So, anybody out there with another method? (I have a Canadian 07 TRD, 6 spd, so I guess that would qualify as 4WD with rear locker.)
    But then the locker mod (any one) has not worked either!
    Anybody else with the same configuration had any success?
    This before I start looking at fitting a switch on the ABS fuse line!
    Have not tried the current limiting resistor yet...

14. Mar 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    What did u do exactly? If you ran the wire to ground with no load thats ur blown fuse. add the resistor and you should be golden.

15. Mar 7, 2012 at 6:22 AM
    Namtinker

Namtinker Member

Member:
    AB, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    Exactly as described in the thread - grounded through a switch - but without a resistor. Fuse just popped, and I was definitely not going to increase it.
    The brake light mod has no effect whatsoever.
    I'll try the resistor this weekend.
    One thing I've noticed by comparing the various photos. There are subtle differences in the wiring. I do not for instance have the blue/yellow wire at all. I had to go and trace the wire back. Still in the same location on the connector, but different colour.
    (Same thing on the locker mods - different colours - I had to use the location.)
    ABS light also does not come on in 4LO, so although the ABS "should" be disabled in 4LO (because the rear diff is automatically locked), I've never been able to verify.
    I wish I had the old Mercedes Gelandewagen (called G-Wagon over here) or the African Hilux - levers, no switches! :)

16. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Good call on not throwing a bigger fuse in. B&E or Active here in Cgy will have the resistors. Remember when choosing location for resistor that they give off heat. (with 12v it might not even be noticeable)
    Whoops thought you were in Cgy.... Derp

17. Mar 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    Namtinker

Namtinker Member

Member:
    AB, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    Did you have to install the resistor?
    I still have a bunch from other projects - will just have to brush up on the coding rings again!
    Enough power to gnd to pop a 10A @ 12+V, ... But without measuring the difference, it could be anything. There is a reason the ABS fuses are that large.

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    No I didn't ground anything. Just interrupted wire with a sw. If I had needed to ground I would use the suggested size in this topic. Resistor band colors is all over the web for free

19. Mar 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    I found an easy way to diable the ABS and Traction on my 2011 Sport, no locker. I had to repair my drivers side ABS cable that connects from the engine bay down to the spindle. The cable was damaged and my ABS/Traction lights came on (Disabled).

Once I repaired the cable, ABS/Traction lights turned off and were then active. So all you have to do is disconnect the ABS connector from either side of the engine and they are off. or splice them from here and add a switch.

20. Mar 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Oysterhead

Oysterhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR
    Kings are king
    And for Off Road models with a locker?? What's the approach?

Products Discussed in

To Top