1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS Kill Switch mod for 05+ Offroad EASY WAY! (PICS)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Bill, First off, I apologize. I can be paranoid. I did not want this thread to go the way of the one here. Secondly, I think you may have misread the OP. I dont' recall asking that question, rather I stated that "Toyota should have given us an ABS kill switch from the factory just like they gave us a VSC off switch"

Also, I've done much research into ABS and NHTSA administrative law. It would appear that ABS is NOT federally required to be on our trucks! Toyota is required to demonstrate that the vehicles can stop under certain conditions using standard tests established by the NHTSA. ABS is actually optionally equipment for most auto makers, and Toyota, because safety sells more vehicles, has made it standard equipment for their automobiles. Here is a link to the NHTSA where they list the standards from which the administrate law is derived from and codified. See Standard No. 105 for passenger vehicles and brakes.

ABS is required by federal law on trucks and buses with hydraulic braking systems and that law can be found in 49 CFR 393.55

2. Dec 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    You are correct, the statement was made, not a question(I indicated this on my first post, but failed to realize it was not a "question" on my second) In my posts however I did not feel that I indicated in any way that ALL vehicles were required to have it. What I WAS indicating was that federal law DOES state that if a vehicle comes with ABS, it must be in operable condition and not able to be disabled. As a technician in dealerships we were always reminded by the numerous bulletins and documents that we received that when making a repair to the ABS system, we either did no repairs at all, or we had to repair it to it's factory operating condition. I recall a substantial fine for not doing so.

Again I was in no way trying to trash your thread, as I agree that your mod is a very well thought out one, and it works like you intended it to. My apologies for thread-jacking in the wrong direction.

3. Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    finally did this mod today on my 2011 tx pro assuming all electronics should be the same. i flip the switch, only diff locker light in dash turns on (no vsc or abs) and it is dim. and abs is still active??? any insight? the switch i used is illuminated so maybe thats why the diff locker light is dim? i dunno? as of now i've got a sweet switch under my steering wheel that lights up green when i flip it, but thats all it does

thanks

4. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Apologies for not searching the entire thread (7 pages takes some time).
    I know this is for OR Tacos with the diff lock. I also know there have been a few threads for the ABS kill on non-diff lock Sports......but the last time I checked, the issue was far from settled.
    Perhaps someone could point me to the thread for us non-locker guys?
    Thanks!

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    oldtommyboy

oldtommyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    tacome tx pro
    Hey Mach-check landphil's threads.
    snowski8r-let me know what you fiqured out,I have a 2012 tx pro and getting ready to do this too,I'm thinking its the illumated power is doing something too but no clue.Mine will be just a spst switch hid in my lockable center console along with alt. locker mod.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    will do...was hoping someone would have a quick chime in easy answer for me. gonna head to a buddies house today to do some diagnosing/ testing

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    got it all sorted out this afternoon. turns out i had the switch wired in wrong (confused myself with the way the switch was labeled due to the led). hooked it up properly and what do ya know, abs goes off!!! the led on the switch however, won't light up, gonna have to figure out that one another day

8. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
  9. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    you asking me? no, tx pro so essentially trd or with upgraded wheels, cat back, stereo from the factory.

i got it all sorted out...tried using a fancy light up switch and confused myself while hooking it up

10. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    I'm sure someone on here does. I saw somewhere on here that someone pulled the abs fuse out and just wired in a switch directly to that. Only thing was you had to make sure all of your added hardware could handle 30A I think cause that's what that particular section of harness is all rated for. Hence the 30A fuse. Just use thick enough wire and a switch rated for that and you're good to go :D

11. Dec 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    oldtommyboy

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    tacome tx pro
    Snowsk8air2-good news,glad you got it sorted.Yeah,that alt.locker mod is the one I want to use too but havent found any 2012's that did it yet.
    I already put 2 switches up in the top corner of my center console for these two mods,that way I can lock my console when I take my truck for inspection and they will have no idea I modded those 2 systems. devious old fart I am !!!

12. Dec 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    aw113sgte

aw113sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    It snowed yesterday and I got to test the ABS kill switch. I was on a hill (going down) and it was shocking to see how much faster it stopped without abs. Felt about 1/2 the distance. That said, the truck will not stay in a straight line as well. I will be turning off ABS anytime I am in snow.

13. Dec 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    nice...thought about hiding mine somewhere but got lazy.i put mine just under the little pop out cubby to the left of the steering wheel, already used the only blank switch port on the truck for my aux lights. now i just need to finish getting my little fab shop going so i can take a swing at making some bumpers

14. Dec 11, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    oldtommyboy

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    tacome tx pro
    sweet,no outside work for now,truck is to new and the driver to old !
    Already did the anytime fogs and locked my bed bins ( sealed them as well ). Still need to use the 2 blank spots under heater,one for a switch to turn on/off my cup lcds and console,the other for the dtrl mod.
    Oh and bought the plugs for the damn seat belts from hong kong for 6.50,work great and dont have to bother with the stealership.
    Did you do the alt. locker mod on yours yet,I know its an 11 but should be the same,i would think?

15. Dec 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    oldtommyboy: yeah i did do the locker mod. there's a good write up here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/226409-locker-mod-alternative.html
    only thing different that i noticed was he says its a yellow wire with a black stripe that you are supposed to tap into. on mine it was more of a burnt orange/yellow with a black stripe. still when you look at the connector its the one on the top left. just tap that into one side of your switch and the other goes to ground. done and done

16. Dec 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    oldtommyboy

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    tacome tx pro
    Cool,now I just got to get my old ass in gear.Thanks
    Stipid question-did you jam a wire in next to it or did you tap in to the wire itself,I fiqured it would be better to tap the wire itself or not for some reason I dont know?

17. Dec 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    snowsk8air2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    I just tapped the wire. no sense in jamming it in with the risk of it wiggling out while out wheelin and pissing off all the computers.

18. Dec 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    oldtommyboy

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pa.
    Vehicle:
    tacome tx pro
    Thats what i thought too,thanks.

19. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    I would just like to add that this thread helped me tremendously the other day when we did my buddy's '12 TRD OR ABS Kill switch. Super easy, everything works flawlessly. Thanks!!!

20. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Before I do this, I have some questions:

Earlier this year I busted one of my wheel speed sensors (driver's rear). This effectively removed ABS from my truck (also get an ABS warning light). Once I replaced the sensor, it took about 1000 feet for the ABS to fix itself.

1. Would interrupting a wheel speed sensor be a better option? I noticed no other side effects other than lost ABS. I believe locker still works for this. I would assume it might screw with ATRAC, but I don't have that. Thoughts?

2. Does this mod have any delay between ABS re-engaging?

I am ignorant and learning, so question 1 may be a really stupid idea. I just want to know why.

Products Discussed in

To Top