1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS lights on

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Re8elmonk0341, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 [OP] "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4
    I took my truck offroading and a little mudding last weekend and now my ABS lights are on. I don't want to take in to the shop (I would if I have to....) I just want to know what some of ya'll think the problem is?

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Most probable reason.
    Worst case scenario, broken wire.

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 [OP] "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Skiatook, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '17 Silver Tacoma SR 4x4
    The light turned off for 1/2 a day then it turned back on. I took it to the wash the other day and sprayed it real good but the light stayed one. I hope its a dirty sensor and not the broken wire.....If that's the case what am I looking at to repair that problem?

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I kind of brain farted that the actual sensor may be damaged, as well.

In your instance, I'd remove the tires and you'll see the sensor with two wires running to it. Possibly use some soapy water in a spray bottle to clean the sensor, but i don't think that'll help. From what I gather from the schematics it a magnetic pickup. If you go 4 wheeling in a soil known to contain iron or any magnetic material, it may do the trick.
    I do not know the senor testing procedure, the FSM may have it, I did not look.
    The wires, if the connectors are still serviceable, is an easy fix. Just re-splice the wires and seal with heat wrap.
    A defective sensor is a replacement you should be able to do yourself with basic knowledge. I do not know the price from Toyota, though. That could be the costly part.
    Check the Factory Service Manual. It's full of testing procedures for this and all the other systems on your truck.

Hope that helps!

Products Discussed in

To Top