1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS System working.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TnShooter, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I don't think anyone is claiming that the system is unsafe in normal driving conditions. I can think of at least one situation in ice when it was helpful- one wheel was on sheet ice and the other was on pavement. In that instance it acted like stability control more than ABS. It would be nice to be able to override the ABS in conditions when you expect the tires to be sliding.

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I don't even get the thing about this ABS being "over active".

It comes on when the wheels would otherwise lock up/slide. If you know how to brake properly it shouldn't matter if you have ABS or not. The best braking is Threshold Braking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_braking

Basically press as hard as you can without the tire slipping. If you are just panic slamming down on the pedal you're doing it wrong. In this instance ABS saves you from not being able to steer at the expense of a bit of stopping distance.

I personally do this, as hard as I can without slipping as mentioned, and I actually find the ABS a help as it can alert me when there is minor slipping that would be difficult to feel. Soon as you feel the ABS turn on even a little you back off and press again and keep the braking force right at the edge of what's possible.

But if you're sliding towards a hill and you're slamming the brakes so hard the ABS is coming on you're doing it wrong and you should learn to use your brakes properly before you hurt yourself. In the meantime you shouldn't be putting yourself in those situations.

EDIT: One thing to note is in fairly loose surfaces during offroading, you should use 4-low or another means to disable ABS since you can dig in during braking from sliding. In some offroad terrains it works better than threshold braking.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    If there is one concept we can stand united behind it is the idea of a factory installed ABS kill switch for our trucks.

There is an easy mod for the guys with a locker. There is also at least two experimental mods for the SPORT guys.

:rofl:

^Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I agreee..... add mud to that too...!

ABS will save the life of a dunb ass as well as a smart ass....!!

You can still steer away from a cliff WITH the brakes on if you have ABS....if you do not have ABS, you have to let the brakes off to be able to steer..... I think you'd be over the cliff without it....hehehe

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Ditto with snow- if you lock the wheels you can dig through to pavement and build up hills of snow in front of the tires. With ABS the computer just keeps saying "wow it is slippery ... lets roll right along".

Agreed- you can drive to the conditions and leave enough braking room to compensate. I assume that those who are saying "learn to drive in the snow" mean drive slower than in a non ABS equipped vehicle and don't drive offroad. That is kind of defeating the purpose of an offroad capable vehicle.

I have never had the ABS engage on dry or wet pavement- threshold braking. What Wolfpack was pointing out is that in limited situations you can exceed threshold braking by locking it up.

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    So this works to disengage ABS, right? Without causing problems later? (like having to reset it or something)

7. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Your truck has a locker. This is an easy clean mod if you want to install a switch.
    ABS Kill Switch mod for 05+ Offroad EASY WAY! (PICS)

8. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
  9. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    You're welcome. Link repaired.

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Question for Crom: I have an 07 SR5 with ABS. No locker or stability control. I've searched this and found a thread describing cutting the blue wire from the brake pedal to the ABS controller. Is that the best way to do this on simple ABS trucks? I'd rather not have the ABS light on if possible, and it sounded like that mod would be basically invisible. I'm not interested in the switch, I just want it dissabled.

I too think that these features should all be optional via switches on the dash. The last thing that I want is the truck trying to override my control in a tight situation.

11. Feb 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Short answer is yes. Based on what I know, and your statement (No VSC, no Locker) I believe that if you follow Rodestone's thread for guideance you will find your desired solution.

12. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Thanks Crom, yes it was Rodstones thread that I had bookmarked. i appreciate you guys who have cleared this trail !

13. Feb 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    ABS saves lives when you are on pavement or other surfaces where you are not supposed to lose traction.

It almost totaled my truck in the dirt. since then, I always disable ABS as soon as I hit dirt.

14. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    I was just reading this thread and read your post.
    My ABS worked the first time when I needed it. I don't under stand why it kicks in when im going 10-20 and stoping on snow or ice. It makes me crazy and slide further than with out it.
    Last week some books fell off my passenger seat and I picked them up and FFFFF red light it was wet, mashed the break & clutch and came to a short great stop. It did not feel like when it kicks in at slow speeds and I keep sliding. It had less feedback it was working but I never needed it at that speed. I was going about 40-45 on wet pavement.

15. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    Now that I read more posts you are right it is over active on snow and ice. It works great on wet pavement at 40MPH. Had a different feel. On ice I get the feed back and the pedel just keeps going down and I keep sliding. On wet the pedel moved slower and less feed back & noise and just felt like it pulled the truck down and stoped it.

Products Discussed in

To Top