1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS, Traction control and Brake warning lights

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ponts, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Feb 10, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    ponts

ponts [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    @ShimStack seems to only trigger these codes when my steering wheel is turned and I lose traction. Today it gave me 10 codes, 5 under ABS and the same 5 under power steering. BTW, not sure if it matters but I have already replaced my power steering rack. Rack is not leaking and fluid level is correct. I wonder if a bad abs/speed sensor cable be causing this or a bad sensor? I'm still waiting on the replacement cable to arrive.

Techstream cable can't get here fast enough!

2. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    ponts

Member:
  3. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    ShimStack

ShimStack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '91 Truggy, '98 Project, '16 DC OR M/T Locked F/R
    The fact you replaced your rack is definitely pertinent new information. What are the 10 codes today? Something in the system is not creating the response or feedback the skid control ECU expects. This could be a mechanical issue (loose bushings/mounts, malfunctioning solenoid, malfunctioning pump, brake line obstruction, etc.) or it could just be an electrical signal (sensor, wiring, calibration, control, etc.) issue. It has now thrown codes at startup (diagnostic checks) and constantly throws codes when the traction or stability system functions. There is a problem to find.

G8R_Taco likes this.
  4. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    ponts

Member:
    I guess more backstory would be pertinent sorry.
    I had my dealer replace the rack in the summer of 2019. Also replaced my UCA uniball to delta joint as the uniballs were worn. Also I have had the occasional abs/traction/vsc lights ever since my truck got a lift years ago. I did a little research at the time and wrote it off as just an issue that people contend with when you get a lift. It started getting worse this winter so I decided to really look into it that's when I found the loose abs/speed sensor. Same 5 codes (see screenshot)under ABS and power steering

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  5. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    woodsy

woodsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
    Stretched cable(s)?

ponts[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    ponts

Member:
    I definitely want to eliminate that possibility. I could of paid dealer price and had it today but I wanted to save some cash and bought one from a Toyota dealer off eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Feb 10, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    ponts

Member:
    My truck has seen a lot of suspension work over the years. I started with 5100's, then went to a heavier spring, then icons with #650, then to #700 springs. Plenty of opportunity for cable stretch.

8. Jan 10, 2022 at 10:51 AM
    ponts

Member:
    Replaced both front(LH/RH) abs sensor wires, stop light sensor, and entire abs actuator unit (sport). Still getting error on startup very occasionally particularly in cold weather when I leave it overnight. If I turn ignition off and on again error goes away and abs works fine. My tire pressure was down on all four tires to 27 psi. Due to the extreme cold weather. I'm wondering if this would have caused the errors below? I filled the tires to 35 PSI and reset the TPMS sensors. Waiting to see if the error comes up again. Any help appreciated @ShimStack ? Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top