1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC compressor noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dinos06, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    Dinos06

Dinos06 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Whenever I engage the AC compressor on my ‘06 Tacoma dbl. cab, a loud screeching noise begins. This just began happening. Not concerned so much about keeping cool this summer, but I’m unable to use the defroster, since it runs off the compressor. Any thoughts as to what the screeching noise is? Pulley? Bearing?

2. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Arries289

Arries289 Yo!

Member:
    Franklin TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB BBP 6MT Tech & Prem
    Could be those items plus the belt or the AC clutch (which is less likely). How old is the belt?

3. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:56 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Is the AC light flashing? Is the compressor turning, or is the belt just forcing it's way around a locked pulley?

Visual inspection is required, not just a noise.

If the clutch is not turning/light flashing, it could be a somewhat simple remedy. Well, simple in terms of AC work, as in a new compressor is not needed.

Or it could need a new compressor.

Either way, the defrost will work w/o the AC system running, it just doesn't use cooled air. It blows cabin temp air.

Could be this thread is helpful.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...g-light-squealing.448009/page-8#post-17865683

4. Jun 13, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    Dinos06

Dinos06 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Not sure the belts age. That may be it. I’ll repost after I have it checked. Thanx for your input Arries289.

5. Jun 13, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    My taco did the same thing a few days ago. AC worked fine, I went to start it the next day, the belt was screeching and there was a smell of burned rubber as soon as I engaged the AC. No lights on dash (not sure I have one?). The 8 mm bolt in the middle of the AC clutch turns freely but not sure if this is indicative of anything?

I pulled the trigger on a complete clutch kit + mag on ebay (220 CAD shipped) hoping it's not the compressor. I didn't get any formal quote but dealership mentioned AC parts alone would probably be around 1500-1800 CAD, they don't sell the clutch separately. I should receive the kit next week. Will post results when I get time to install. FYI, I have 97K km on my 2012 taco.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 19, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    Installed the kit a month ago. AC has been working perfectly! Saved a bundle of $$$ :yay: Thanks Clearwater Bill for the link :thumbsup:

As others noted, I also had some type of melted plastic/rubber blob in the clutch when I removed it from my truck.

Collinmcd99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top