1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC Fill Port Schrader Valve Size

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by plurpimpin, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Jun 20, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    My low fill port is leaking on my air conditioning and I'm going to order a tool to replace it without loosing my freon charge. My question is does anyone know which size/style schrader valves our AC uses? There are several different ones.

If our truck uses standard size valves I can save $30 and get the smaller standard valve only tool:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-81...pebp=1433958866930&perid=3B581C027CCA490B9A9B

I just want to be sure because if it uses larger JRA or other style valves then I'll have to get the more expensive tool (which is fine I just want to get the right thing):
    http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-58...sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A6EFB0WFA89FH3JZYZ1

2. Jun 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    id like to know how you wont lose your charge when changing that valve. it is the only thing holding the gas in the system lol

3. Jun 20, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Interesting, never knew something like this existed. I just change my SV's when all the refrigerant leaks out. Can't help you with the tool size.

4. Jun 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    You only have two choices. Low pressure port or high pressure port (R134a type assuming you don't have something pre-1994). The JRA is a different animal altogether. The low and high pressure cores are different sizes, or at least they were on my 04 Ranger. The tool is pretty cute and does work, just read the instructions carefully. Screw it up and you get freon spraying oil everywhere. I've found a drop of PAG oil on the thing helps to improve the seal on new ones since they are dry in the package. Drop in the top, push the pin to get the oil down onto the seal itself, and it will be good to go. At least until the next time you have to re-charge. These things can be a pain.

5. Jun 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    You could try reading the links to the tools I posted. The tool attaches to the fill fitting, you remove the valve core, then pull the core to the end of the tool and close a valve to seal off the system. Then open the tool, place a new core in, close the tool, open the valve and then install the new core.

6. Jun 23, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    I realized my post was a bit jumbled. The drop of oil is for the new Schrader valve seal. Not for the tool. I've used that tool many times. Some manufacturers seem to want to make things harder. Some Ford's for example don't have a replaceable schrader valve. The entire valve and housing unscrews. Which the A/C shops like since it requires a recovery, replacement, vacuum and recharge, instead of a 10$ valve and 5 minutes of time. :)

BTW if the caps go lost, or crack, etc. I've found replacements easy and cheap to find. Advanced, auto zone, NAPA, etc. have 'em, along with the Schrader valves.

I also might have been wrong about the JRA comment. I've replaced many of these things, and I've only had to answer "high or low side" when asked for which one. One is larger. Whether it is a JRA high-flow or not I can't answer. The primary use (for me) for the tools is after doing a replacement of something else (compressor, hose, condenser, etc) and going through the vacuum and re-charge, you see the damned Schrader valve leaking. The replacement tool saves an hour (recovering R134, then vacuum/re-charge) as well as the R134 cost. Fortunately it is not something that happens a lot. If I open one of mine up, I would generally replace the Schrader valves if they are over a couple of years old, just to avoid the hassle.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  7. Jun 23, 2015 at 9:44 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Thanks for the followup, I understood you the first time with the oil comment. I went ahead and ordered the cheaper tool. From what I figured out it will fit on my low side but not the high. The high side has a larger valve core so judging by the reviews on Amazon it won't fit through the tool. I figured since only my low side valve is leaking there's no need to spend the extra money for the tool that will fit both. The tool should be here tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to get my AC fixed before the 100 degree heatwave that's supposed to hit here this weekend!

EDIT: I'll report back what I find once I have the tool in my hands

8. Jul 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Sub'd

9. Jul 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well that's pretty ingenious!

Justinlhc likes this.
  10. Jul 25, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    That's some mighty fine sorcery o_O