1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC/Heater fan stopped working

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by bkrdave36, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, BFG All Terrain KO Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, custom made bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod,Rigid Knockoff LED Floodlights, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    I'm sure this has been covered in a previous post that I can't find....

I know my AC is working because at freeway speed I can feel the cold air coming through the vents. The problem is the blower fan stopped working.

Is there a fuse I should check, or is it the switch on the dash, or could it be the blower and or motor itself? How do I go about checking? I saw a post about a resistor but that seemed to be only when your fan worked on High. Mine is not blowing at any speed.

Need to know ASAP. It was 105 today and will be upwards of 115 by Saturday.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Do you have the owners manual? it should give fuse location.

3. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    hit the blower motor....

4. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    Daystar 3 inch lift, BFG All Terrain KO Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, custom made bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod,Rigid Knockoff LED Floodlights, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Cabin filter is clean, nothing blocking air flow.
    I pulled the resistor and it looked ok.
    The connector to the blower motor looks a little "crispy" at one of the connectors.... but I have power (about 12.5vdc) at the connector on the blower side of the connector.
    The brushes,etc look ok (not burned or dirty) in the blower motor.

I could not check the relay as I do not know what it looks like nor could I find it. Unless its under the hood?

5. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    you have power and ground at the motor?

6. Jun 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    I used my multitester and stuck one lead in one side of the plug and the other lead into the other side of the plug and got a reading of about 12.5 vdc. Not sure where a "ground" for the motor would be as no other wires were present.

7. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Irchr

Irchr Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    Yes the same thing happened to me. I had tons of acorns inside the fan. I had to vaccum them out, but every once in a while something disloges and I get some trash floating around. IT was a mess and I too blocked the opening, but it sure was a mess. for a while.

8. Jun 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Irchr

Irchr Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    One contact on the connector is defective and looks like it got too hot. The worst part is that you can't just replace any part of it, they want to replace the whole harness. I went to junk yard, and cut the connector off the wreck. Then I spliced it back into my harness and it works just fine now. ALl this over one socket. I see there are too many problems with the fan, I hope they fix it by the new 2014 model. I am anxious to get a new Tacoma, I have almost 200,000 miles on mine now.

9. Jun 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    I hooked my blower motor straight up to the battery and it works fine, so its not the blower motor. I have a relay coming in tomorrow. At that time I will also check the ground connection and the fuse.

I may have to do what Irchr did above with the connector as mine is looking a bit questionable on one side as well.

10. Jun 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    bkrdave36

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    Well guys .... if this problem happens to you... before shelling out any cash .... go to the junk yard!

I took this fix ...
    ... and the problem is solved! Thank god the A/C is blowing cold air again! Because the forecast for tomorrow and beyond is ...

The moral to this sad story with the incredibly happy ending is as follows....

Always start with the simple crap.

I love cold air coming out of my vents!

To Top