1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC running when off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco_DE, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    -
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

You do have a vent setting, put selector on upper vents, make sure fresh; not recirculate is chosen, and turn compressor off. This is vent, just like the old cars, on older cars A/c and vent were the same, just the compressor was disabled on vent.

2. Oct 9, 2007 at 8:06 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner

3. Oct 10, 2007 at 8:18 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    TRDeity: When i have my knob on defrost, it doesnt matter if i push the AC button or not, the air coming out stays the same temp and its ice cold.

LRH: Having the ability to have the vent going without the AC comes in useful many times. In my old car i never had the AC charged so it was just the vents and it would still defrost the window. Just having air running across the window defrosts it, it doesnt have to be cold (although cold air works faster)

4. Oct 10, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Odd, don't know, like I said it seems to work on my truck but maybe mines a freak. Only did this when I first got my truck because it was "winter" (ya know TX winter which meant it was in the 60's) and raining, felt like the outside air and stayed humid.

5. Oct 10, 2007 at 12:41 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    OK, you had my dander up at first, but I calmed down. You nailed it. Temp has been all the way to cold, except briefly while I was trying to see if heat would defog better when I was stopped at that red light and smelled the burning plastic. I suppose some cool evening, I should just open all the windows and run the heat to get rid of the smell before I really need it.

6. Oct 14, 2007 at 4:44 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I have that smell. It comes and goes when I have the A/C running. it's like a sickly sweet smell, like the inside of a new radio mixed with Westvaco. :rolleyes:

7. Nov 11, 2007 at 6:20 PM
    aaronb43

aaronb43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    ... that cycling the a/c switch stops the a/c from running in defrost mode?

8. Nov 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    In mine the a/c will always run when the defroster is on, it's been like that in every car i've owned, and i've had 9 lol

9. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Some of us have been driving for more than 5 years. Anybody else remember the bright/dim switch on the floor by your left foot? Drove me nuts the first time I got a truck with it on the steering column.

10. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:58 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i've been driving for four years buddy, count your fingers. one, two, three, four,...oh thats right, you're a texan and you make sawdust. i'd be surprised if you had four haha :p

11. Nov 11, 2007 at 8:59 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    and an easy fix for an annoying light is electrical tape or black paint lol, come on guys you have to use what you have and make it work, i think thats how the first apple was made into a smoking apparatus lol

12. Nov 12, 2007 at 7:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Hell yeah! When i first started driving it was my dads 79 F100. It had the dim/bright switch on the floor. I have always liked that.

So i have a question about the defrost that never got answered. If i have it turned to full heat,then switch it to defrost, does the AC compressor still kick on to take the moisture out of the air before it hits the heater coils? Does it mean that even in the dead of winter i'm using my AC when i defrost?

13. Nov 12, 2007 at 9:54 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    One of my restoration projects was a 62' Willys-Overland wagon (looked like an 50's style Wagoneer). It had the dimmer on the floor. So did my 74' Scout II.

14. Nov 12, 2007 at 4:25 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    YES. Whenever you move the air direction to DEFROST the compressor will engage for efficient defogging. Temp has to be adjusted for this but In My Opinion works. I am in a moist coastal climate but probably still has some effect in a cold dry one too.

15. Nov 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
  16. Dec 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I prefer how my 98 Corolla had it set up. Windsheild/feet, AC off. Full windshield, AC on for defrost.

Took me a little while to realize windshield/feet in the truck kicked the AC on. And I was wondering why it took so long for the air to warm up during the winter. :rolleyes:

I find it easier to just leave the selector on feet only as it divides the air between ALL the vents and doesn't run the AC. So it clears the windshield, side windows, helps warm up the rear (and whole truck for that matter), and doesn't have to overcome the cooling effects of the AC.

Still, it takes longer to clear the windshield since I can't direct ALL of the air there without the AC dropping the temp and helping the glass re-freeze.

17. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    Black Rock Taco

Black Rock Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnemucca and Reno, NV, Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DBL Cab Tundra
    None, yet
    Hey guys, the OP talked about the fact that the AC comes on when the temp control is turned all the way to cold. NOT about AC coming on with defrost.

When I turn the temp dial, there's a barely discernable detent at the very end, this is when the AC comes on. Then if the temp is turned up again, the AC stays on. This is the question of the original post. Yes, it happens, and it is a bad engineering design. I drive through the Sierras a lot, and am always adjusting the temp. As a result I'm also turning OFF the freaking AC when I shouldn't have to. Anybody looked into the switch and wiring and found a way to disable the AC ON with temp control switch?? If not, I'll be looking...

18. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Re-read the OP:

That right there says he's using the defrost mod and the AC is coming on despite not turning it on manually.

And no, my AC doesn't come on when the temp is turned all the way to cold. Yes it comes on even with temp all the way to hot when either of the windshield modes are selected.

19. Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    Black Rock Taco

Black Rock Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnemucca and Reno, NV, Oakland CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DBL Cab Tundra
    None, yet
    Ok so I jumped the gun a bit. My bad.
    I found another older thread, and it looks like the AC coming on when the temp is fully counter-clockwise may be a feature of newer trucks; I don't remember if the 07's are affected. It is still a very annoying feature, I hope to find a cure soon.....

20. Nov 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm sure there was a thread on here a while back for disabling just that. I remember taking a plug that goes into the heater behind the glove box and removing a wire that controls the AC with defrost. The AC still works just with the button on the dash. I'll see if I can find the thread.

A little search in the cheap mods section, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/7160-c-defrost.html hope that helps you out. I've done it to my truck and it works great.

Products Discussed in

To Top