1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Acceleration stats from all generations

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by knayrb, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Mar 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM
    knayrb

knayrb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    First, this is not a troll and I'm not dissing on any generation.

I'm sure many of you have seen this review on YouTube as it was posted on TW.

In this review the 1st generation was an MT, the 2nd and 3rd generations were both ATs. All of these generations have their respective V6s. You'll notice that the contest between the 1st and 3rd were virtually a tie. The 2nd generation totally smoked the 3rd generation.

Now when we look at this site we see the different 0-60 and 1/4 ratings for a sample of Tacomas. The 3rd generation is a hair faster in these ratings over the 2nd generation and quite a bit quicker than the 1st generation. This is what I would expect when looking at the HP and torque ratings of the different generations.

Obviously the video above is not a 1/4 mile. I didn't get how long the track was or I missed it. Assuming it was something like an 1/8 mile, would the 3rd generation increase the HP so much more at a higher RPM that it would catch up and pass the 2nd generation in a 1/4 mile?

I can't find a graph with the 2nd and 3rd generation HP and torque curves overlayed on each other. That might show where the 3rd generation hits the potential max power for the RPM and answer this question. It would also show why the truck uses gearing to overcome deficiencies in low speed torque and why the transmission shifts around so much.

The purpose of this question deals not with speed off the line (I don't buy trucks for racing. Leave that to sports cars.) but power for all things a truck is suppose to do. Input welcome.

2. Mar 31, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    This article has been posted a couple times over the past few months. I really liked it myself. Many uproars and complaints were generated because of it, but it was still cool that they did this.

3. Mar 31, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Also some of the questions you ask were posted some where on here, i dont remember where they were, but i do remember the 1/4 mile was still 2dn gen, third gen, and first gen in that order. Time wise and mph wise. If you keep looking around you may find it. I think it was within the thread about that very comparison as well.

4. Mar 31, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
  5. May 4, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    Tronner

Tronner Active Member

Member:
    I'm sure it's still faster, but in the 2nd gen vs 3rd gen drag race the 3rd gen guy spent the first 5 seconds trying to get the truck to go straight. Terrible driver haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top