1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

access lorado tonneau

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by bdunna, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Jan 14, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    bdunna

bdunna [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    After much research bought this. I am a pretty handy person. Took way too long to install. Two sets of directions. Pictures not very helpful, said left on tensioner and said drivers side (was passenger side), recommends washers when specified bolt not long enough. Should have taken a half hour took 3.

Made up some new words tonight.

Finally on. Looks like a nice cover, rolls up super easy, nice and tight, couldn't see any light, will adjust and test for water leakage in the next few days.

Makes the extang solid fold 2.0 look seem like easiest instalation ever.

CAM37 likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    easbaysav

easbaysav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road AC Cement
    I had one of these on my Fronty. Not hard to install at all and this is what I was planning on getting for my Taco, but don't like that the install requires the use of the side rails. On my Fronty, it mounted above the rails so it didn't interfere with it at all.

3. Jan 14, 2016 at 10:26 PM
    bdunna

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    You still have access to track tie downs.

4. Jan 15, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    gzkrutoy

gzkrutoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    W. Peabody, MA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DC
    I just had the same installation issues (shitty instructions) with My Access LiteRider on Monday night. Pictures of the final product? Curious to see the difference between yours and mine.

5. Jan 15, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    bdunna

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    Try to get some pictures. By the time I was done it got dark. Followed directions for the back weather seal also, but due to all the putting on and taking off the seal loosened. The two 1 1/2 inch cutouts didn't stick well either. Hard to get them to stick when the adhesive is in between the gap and there is no way to get at it. Tried inserting a shim and pressing it down with no luck.

I truly think they need to modify the directions or make a new set for 2016 tacoma.

Was truly considering the extang 2.0 for its durability, ease of installation, and lack of clamps. But most of the time when I need the full bed open I don't know it until the time comes. So this was not an option.

I will say the access does function very well is easy to open and close, gives access to the entire bed, and looks nice and tight.

My only concern is with the way the front bed rail by the cab is attached. It's almost like it is floating or reliant on the tension adjusters.

Whatever the case it's 100x better than the fist tonneau I ever had (lepera).

6. Jan 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I had the Larado roll-up cover on my '06.... It worked real good for 10+ years and was still real nice when I traded her in...

I just decided that because I've got a locking Tailgate this time..I'll get a Solid Fold 2.0 for more security.... happy so far..

7. Jan 15, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    easbaysav

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:

Man, I would've never thought that.

Seriously though, it's more of a complaint towards the design of the bed on the Taco so it can't mount like it did on my Fronty. I researched other roll-up tonneau covers to see if there were other mounting designs, but all the ones I seen mounted the same as the Lorado. I'll be using some of my own tie-down points where t-slot nuts will be used... and if I wanted to move those around, I'd have to removed the hardware holding the tonneau cover rail to slide the t-slot nut past the bracket. That would be more of a nuisance than anything.

8. Jan 16, 2016 at 3:45 AM
    bdunna

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    If you use the oem tie down points they can still easily slide back and forth. You obviously can't slide them past the cover mounting points. But the oem tie downs can easily be taken out of the track by loosening them twisting, and then move them to the new spot. Takes about 30 seconds.

The extang 2.0 would not require this. This is my first taco and I have to say all the available tie down points are awesome. My 2005 tundra had the basic stationary points that never seemed to be where you wanted them

If you like I could take a picture.

I would like to see your homeade mounting points your talking about, you've peaked my interest. I'm learning a lot about my truck

9. Jan 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    easbaysav

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:

I appreciate the help, but I'm already familiar with the track system as my Frontier had the Utilitrack system on it.

Not sure what you're getting from my posts and I don't want to sound like a dick, but you're simply stating the obvious. I'm using the mounts that I bought for my Fronty as I didn't like using the cleats that came with it either. However, since the track dimensions are different, I can't mount it the same way. On my Fronty, I could install and remove the mounts like the cleats, except it was with an allen head bolt.

If you search these boards, there's a lot of info on the t-slot nuts people have used. Only downfall with those is that they slide along the tracks and can only be removed/installed from the ends. Another option would be to grind down the spring nuts that came with my mounts to fit the Taco tracks. I read on here that one member did that. Might give that a shot down the road just to make things easier for install/removal.

Here's some pics of the mounts I'm using, they're from CCR Sport. I'll get some pics of the t-slot nuts and spring nuts I'm talking about later.

bebbb7146a3fde54e94cd32f65e0a341_7c42058154cd17c006ac84f53960b73c356a3134.jpg

2152c4bb33ea130adf5b4647e2bea32e_1f990366534a53590268d3a60b3899be1769d3f6.jpg

10. Jan 17, 2016 at 7:00 AM
    bdunna

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 tundra access cab
    Miscommunication is all. Nice setup.

11. Jan 17, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    easbaysav

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:

No worries; thanks.

Here's the t-slot nuts and spring nuts I was talking about. Also some cone nuts I bought from Home Depot and my Kuat Dirtbag bike mount. The spring nuts and cone nuts will slide into the Fronty rails from the front, but would have to be slid in from the ends on the Taco rails.

I don't want to install the mount for my MTB until I'm going to use it or get a tonneau cover. As for the current tie down points I just installed, I'm probably going to remove those until I get a cover as well.

After doing some more research, every option that I've found has to be slid from the ends of the rails on the Taco (other than the OEM cleats, obviously). Unless you use a standard nut and washer as I've seen some people do.

Now I'm undecided if I want to go with the Access Lorado or the TruXedo LoPro QT.

DSC08089.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top