1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Actual lift achieved, Regular Cab 5100s & 1.5" AAL

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hour, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma RC 4x4 (Sold) '14 Ram 1500, '99 4R
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Trying to get an idea of what I can get away with here on my '12 regular cab.

I initially was going to take the gamble of just ordering front 5100s and setting to 1.75", but it seems like some people had a level truck in doing this, others found the nose slightly high and ordered a 1" block or something for the rear.

Well, I wound up with a ~200 lb camper shell so I figured there was no way in hell I was getting away with setting fronts at 1.75" and not doing anything to the rear. In wanting to do it right the first time, I also ordered the Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL along with my 5100's.

Now I have no clue what to do after reading this board for hours. I understand that if I install the Wheelers 3 leaf in the rear and remove the factory overload, it'll be a little less lift. With 200 lbs of camper shell on the rear, is there any chance that I can get away with running 1.75" on the 5100's, or will I have dive bombing amounts of rake? A level truck would be ideal. A slightly raked truck (less than factory) would be acceptable.

It's throwing me off, because even the majority of trucks on here seem to have different experiences - such as 1.75" giving them 2" in the front, or 1.5" leaf packs giving 2" in the rear. With a regular cab, I assume I'll end up slightly above 1.75" too, and the rear will end up jacked as well. If the numbers were 100% accurate in a perfect world, I'd lessen my rake by .25" and the camper shell might bring me down a smidge too - less than factory rake, alignable front, sounds great. I'm not expecting too many folks to chime in since a lot of the regular cab guys seemed to do springs as well or a different setup entirely, but I figured I'd ask since doing it twice requires more time, and a second alignment :mad:

Much thanks

2. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Taco Libre

Taco Libre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JohnnyHildo
    Saskatoon, SK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black 4x4 Access-Cab TRD OffRoad
    Rear TSB, 5100s @ 0, Toytec 3" lift, Total Chaos UCAs
    i'm gonna bet the people you read that found 1.75" too high up front were trucks that didn't have the tsb done.

3. Jan 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    Level 8 Trackers, Hankook Dynapro LT265/75/16, Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, Wheelers 3-Leaf Progressive w/ factory overload, 5100s all around // Ranch Camper Shell, BHLM, hacked reverse lights, auxiliary reverse lights // Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, RF Prime Components, BOSS 10" Sub
    Yeah, but reg cabs don't get TSB. I think it could be due to the age of the truck. Like if I lift the front of a truck with 3,000 miles on it, the same setup with a 30,000 mile spring may sit a hair lower.

I suck, I didn't measure mine before and after :( I can suggest though for other regular cab owners, if you set your Bilsteins up front to 2.5" (stock coils), make sure you have at least a 1.5" AAL and I would strongly suggest leaving your overload spring in (claimed 5/8" increase in lift versus without) or you may be nose high. I doubt with my camper shell off I'd be thaaat much higher, and better to have the slightest bit rake or perfectly level, than rear sagging.

This may vary on the AAL you get. I think it was the Toytec AAL I read about giving people more lift than other AALs claiming 1.5". I did the wheelers 3 leaf progressive. I've spread this around to many threads already and I've only been lifted for a couple days (and alignment done just yesterday), but if you're searching for lift ideas here's what I did and what it resulted in. Bilstein 5100s up front @ 2.5", stock coils. Rear - stock shocks with the Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL WITH stock overload kept. Aligned PERFECTLY, no grinding noise or vibrations. It seriously rides no worse than it did from the factory, maybe even a bit better now that I've put ~50 miles on it since aligning. Yes, I will get better shocks in the rear. For now, it's great and looks just how I wanted it to. I'm trying to be detailed because so many 'this is my lift setup' posts omit details like overload leaf, alignment results, etc.

4. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    pivey14

pivey14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Fuel Clash 6 17” wheels 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers 1.5” Level Kit TRD Pro Grille with Raptor Lights TRD Pro Floor Liners TRD Pro Shifter Knob Lunar Rock Interior Trim
    Set the 5100's to .85 and buy Eibach Coils. Your truck will be perfectly level. the coils are relatively cheap.

/thread

5. Jan 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    hour

hour [OP] TL;DR BOSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    What? Lots of people have that same setup in the front and they all have AALs in rear

Products Discussed in

To Top