1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Actual write-up of ECGS bushing install?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thyces, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Jan 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    @Thyces

Congrats on conquering the diff bearing! :)

Drainbung and Thyces[OP] like this.
  2. Feb 3, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    RHansen

RHansen Active Member

Member:
    Coarsegold CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DBLC 4x4
    Thyces, I did this same job except when I put everything back together I found a spring in the shape of a ring that was laying on a paper towel I forgot all about.
    It looks like it goes in the oil seal from your first picture in this write up. Do you remember a this type of spring when doing this job.
    I'm not to happy because I have to take the whole thing apart if this is the case.

Thank you for any info you can give me

IMG_0355.jpg

3. Feb 3, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Yeah unfortunately that does look exactly like the coiled spring that is in the seal. I'm at work right now so can't send a picture but I do recall seeing that in my seal

4. Feb 3, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    RHansen

RHansen Active Member

Member:
    Coarsegold CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DBLC 4x4
    Chase from ECGS, just emailed me and said that's what it is. He said the diff will eventually leak if that's not in there. Thanks for your response, time to tear it apart again. Ugh!!!

5. Feb 3, 2017 at 10:34 AM
    Thyces

Thyces [OP] 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    I honestly do not remember seeing this spring. I did install a new seal...would it be in the seal somewhere?

6. Feb 3, 2017 at 11:10 AM
    RHansen

RHansen Active Member

Member:
    Coarsegold CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DBLC 4x4
    It doesn't come with a new seal you would of put this back in the seal facing out, then out cv back into the diff. You can see it in your first pic before you used the tool to remove the bushing.

7. Feb 3, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
  8. Feb 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Is this necessary to replace or is it mostly due to people being annoyed with the vibe and rumble?

9. Feb 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    jrlin718

jrlin718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathon
    Louisville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Barcelona Red 4X4 Double Cab
    Plastidip front grill and badges Bilstein 5100 shocks set at 0 OME 888 coils Lights Racing UCAs Headstrong AAL TRD Pro Wheels Matte Black BFG KO2 275/70/17 Rocky Mounts DriveShaft SD KB Voodoo Bed Rack ECGS 8 in clam shell bushing Custom Bedside Decals TRD MTB Edition CBI front bumper CBI rear high clearance bumper CaliRaisedLed 20 in single row bumper ARB CKMA12 Air compressor
    So i figured id share my experience. I am not super mechanically inclined but I am very well read on the subject and watched a ton of youtube videos beforehand. I lifted my 2016 sport a few months ago and got the vibe. Toyota did not have an answer so they replaced the whole front diff which solved the problem for about 2k miles. I finally grew the balls to do it myself.

I used these youtube video as my guide

CV axle removal video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfpP4sy8qYw&t=226s

ECGS needle bearing removal and ECGS bushing install video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnA_R3gFf2s&t=200s

I rented most of the necessary tools from autozone loan a tool program (I can not overstate the importance of having the right tools and it doesn't cost anything to rent from autozone (100% refund with return of tools within 90 days))

heres a list of what i rented

35 mm socket
    breaker bar
    torque wrench
    tie rod separator
    bearing driver kit
    263 dollars total shipped to my house for free and 100% refundable if you return the tools within 90 days which I did today

(The spring compressor was for something else and is not needed FYI)

Some other tools I had that were necessary
    Pry bar
    10 mm allan wrench on a socket driver
    ball pien hammer
    small sledge hammer
    jack stands
    jack
    standard set of sockets up to 22mm

I bought the $60 needle bearing puller tool and in my opinion it is a must

I used the ECGS recommended gear oil afterwards which i ordered from Amazon (85W-140)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IG20T0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used this forum for a guide of torque specs for reassembling everything
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-torque-spec-guide.318116/

All in all it took me about 4 hours and keep in mind I've only driven about 20 miles since the install but my taco drives like a dream now. Quieter than the day I bought her. Hope this helps anyone with any doubt about doing it yourself. The two hardest parts were seating the removal tool behind the needle bearing and the other was pounding the new ECGS bushing in.

QChawks likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    Jtaoj0

Jtaoj0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know I am responding to an older quote, but I think the spring is built into the seal. Mine came out after I began twisting the seal to remove it. I don't recall seeing a separate spring when I was working on pulling the needle bearing first when I did the ECGS bushing install. I replaced the seal to be safe. Here is a really good write up from an FJ forum. The seal fits several Toyota vehicles including 2ng gen tacomas and FJs. See the pic and comment in post 9 showing the spring with the statement about the spring being part of the seal.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-diy-front-differential-seal-replacement.html

Also, if you look at the exploded diagrams on the OEM part sites, the seal shows but no separate spring. Just don't want confusion. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

11. Aug 7, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    QChawks

QChawks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    thanks for the all the info guys, I plan to do this next week.

Am I reading this correctly, I don't necessarily have to remove the hub or tie rod? Just loosen the two ball joints bolts and i'll have enough play to get the axle out to access the bushing?

12. Nov 26, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    For anybody reading this in the future; yes you can remove the axle by only removing the bottom two ball joint bolts.

13. Nov 5, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    ajpagosa

ajpagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Off Road 6-speed manual
    Bumping this thread. I just finished this job on my 05 with 90k miles. Began making typical noise at about 35mph which goes away when the 4wd is engaged. Old needle bearing didn't look too bad. The round spring fell out when I pulled the axle stub out of the diff . I had no idea where to put it at the time (wrong place turns out). Yes the newer seals have the spring embedded in them, embedded into the rubber, on the oil side I checked. There's no way it could come out. I think the old seal must have been bad for the ring spring to have just fallen out, and it would have been hard or maybe impossible to get it to stay in the old seal on the inside. Anyway no leaks so far we'll see how the next few days go. Drives much quieter now.

14. Dec 26, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    xTacomatic

xTacomatic Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Any help is appreciated, hoping to knock the dust of this old thread. Theres so many clamshell bushings out there some are 30 bucks the ecgs clamshell is 70. they all look identical, did everyone go with the ecgs? did anyone here buy and install an alternate bushing? there's some from toltec lifts, Nitrogear there's some on Amazon and eBay that have the same specs and materials of those of ecgs.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top