1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding A-Trac????? 2009...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by akwagon, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Sort of.....It is actually a traction system that brakes the slipping wheel(s). And it shuts off in 4 Low, which is stupid.

ATRAC is awesome, I spend a few thousand miles a year off road, and ATRAC may not be graceful or quiet, but it makes the truck so capable, you have to get really extreme to get it stuck. This is my seventh truck, and it is by far the best at not getting stuck.

THE WIRING HARNESSES ARE NOT THE SAME.
    IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHERE IT TERMINATES, THESE ARE NOT FORDS, TOYOTA HAS 5 DIFFERENT WIRING HARNESS ASSEMBLIES!!!!
    NOT TO MENTION THE WRONG BRAKE BOOSTER, & DIFFERENT WHEEL SPEED SENSORS.

Exactly. But it does not cut throttle, so standing it when you are stuck actually works pretty well.

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Isthatahemi is one of the original 'masters' when I came here over a year ago... All the stuff I have been posting has its roots in Hemi's and a couple others' post here.

They got me pointed in the right direction of understanding... then I continued on with my own findings in Baja and the desert east of San Diego... A-TRAC and TRAC in H4 (or even 4 Lo Trac Mod for the guys with Sport TRDs) is just WAY awesome... and I have been into four wheeling since the 60's.

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I think what honestly bugs Larry the most is the condescending attitude of some people on this site that wear A-TRAC like a badge. And he has a valid point there.

Trust me, his lifted and armored (soon to be locked) sport gets pushed harder than 99% of the 09+ ORs on this site. He's done shit in his sport I've refused to go up in my OR because I had to worry about damage and he didn't.

I'd agree. But it's one factor among many, not the least of which is the driver.

Also, the 4Lo + TRAC mod does blow ass. I watched a truck with it and an experienced driver fuck around in a dirt bowl for 20 minutes last fall because it wouldn't pull out. Single locked and A-TRAC trucks walked that hole like it was nothing.

4. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Settle down killer. I ain't got a dog in this fight.

I like A-TRAC. I'm looking forward to pushing it's limits more down the line (after some armor).

But it is way too contentious an issue on this board, and I think it has more to do with attitudes than the technology. And I'm not talking about anyone in specific, before anyone jumps to conclusions.

5. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Well stated. And x2.

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not this retarded argument again .

Who cares.

Unsubbed

7. Jan 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    I did not say they used the same harness for a sport, an offroad, an sr5 and a base model etc. Obviously each model would have to have its own harness because each has it owns features. But that does not mean they don't use the same harness for a AC sport and a DC sport. Obviously this might not be the case and I don't know for sure since I don't put these trucks together myself, but it seems like a great way to save some money during assembly.

I never said anything about brake boosters and speed sensors, in fact, I didn't say anything about adding A-TRAC. The guy was talking about the airbag switch, which has nothing to do with ATRAC what so ever. I replied with an answer to the best of my knowledge. Forums are good for helping people who don't know, but if I am wrong, you can chime in and supply a correct answer. I learn and so does he. You don't need to start YELLING HOW THESE ARE NOT FORDS. Your point? That's not really that helpful.

But since you seem like the expert on the subject, why don't you tell everyone why he would have a plug in his DC that would hook up to an airbag switch in a AC, as well where the 5 instances of the harness that are used. That way everyone can get up to speed with your superior knowledge :D

8. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Fords are mostly universally wired, that was my point about the Ford.
    And the wiring harnesses still have un-terminated, un-used parts. But there are still 5 different harnesses. And the DC and AC always use different harnesses.

9. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    What bothers me is the same NO-MINDS posting how their older crappier modded de-functionalized truck will do 1 thing better than my bone stock leased truck.
    ATRAC makes the truck clearance limited, so lockers are a moot point without other mods. ATRAC is the best traction system around. I seldom to never use my locker, because it always ends the same way, hitting the ATRAC button to pull me out from where the locker got me stuck.

As for the 4Low TRAC mod, you are clueless..... How does open diffs beat LSD at both ends? It doubles the capability, and if one Super-Luddite driver you saw convinced you of that, you are simple.

This is why I don't post at all anymore, same dummies beating the same drums. I have no love for my POS Tacoma, I just post it as I see it, and can't bother arguing with the no-minds.

10. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Well OR will have easier time..... right up until rear differential explodes :D
    It is if anybody is any serious about using that truck as the truck. It will become more obvious after few people ends up spending $1000's fixing that system.
    You can of course buy Jeep and drag trailer with parts every time you go somewhere or drop 20K to upgrade pretty much everything.:D

11. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I'm about to get Ring & Pinion #4. ATRAC still works fine.
    And that's why I hate the Tacoma, it's not a real truck. It is a truck designed for mall crawling. F150 EcoBoost, here I come.

12. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Yep because we know those are not notorious to have rear diff go KABOOM :D

13. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I would argue you can't push either system without modding. Hence why I find all the pontificating that goes on about these systems by stock trucks amusing.

Hell I don't feel like I can push them right now due to lack of armor.

In my experience, areas where open diffs will leave you stuck, TRAC will do the same. There doesn't seem to be enough "limited" in that limited slip. A-TRAC is a different story. I've still had situations where the rear locker has gotten me out, or gotten me further, than A-TRAC by itself.

I post it like I see it myself. We must see it differently.

14. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    How did you know :eek::confused:

15. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Nope not at all, because its well known fact it blocks the view :crapstorm:

:D

16. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    thanks for a real answer and not an insult. i dont really care for trac, im not saying anything about it cause ive never experienced it. i was just wondering wtf the plug was and you actually seem to make more sense. i think that when you give someone an answer, a good explanation to back it up will make yours more trust worthy. "it is what it is and thats beacause i said it is" doesnt really help much unless your knowledge is well known. i chose this thread to post in, hoping it was related. useless reiterating threads irritate everyone. it seems i started a brawl here. haha.

17. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    again....another Epic ATRAC thread
    read it all. same shit,nother day :p

Products Discussed in

To Top