1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

adding automatic headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tacomalimited, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    Just wondering if it's possible to have daytime running lights on all the time, and, automatic headlights that go on at night?I would probably need to add some type of sensor on the dash for the automatic headlights. I'm not good with electrical, so, I was wondering if the dealer or some type of shop could do it without voiding my warranty. I can't believe it doesn't have it already, my buddy's 2001 Camry has it!thanx!

2. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    There is a mod on here that you can add a switch to the DTRLs so you can turn them on and off as you please. For the auto headlights I'm sure it can be done without voiding the warranty but I bet its not cheap to do.

3. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:31 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Anything is possible but it would be a completely custom project. You would need something like the sensor that your buddy's 2001 Camry has and splice it into your OEM wiring harness.

4. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Yes, it is possible, and even more do-able since there are actually Toyotas out there that has this feature - I know someone who had it done with the sensor module from an Avalon, but he was able to do it himself. If you get someone else (qualified someone else ;) ) to do it, which is recommended since you are still under warranty, it will cost you some good money. The question is not if it is possible, but how much is it worth to you...

5. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    tacomalimited

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    Do you think the dealer would do it? If not where? Sorry for all the questions, it's my first Toyota, and, my first car in a long time without automatic headlights.I know it's weird, but, I miss not having them. Thanx in advance for all your help! Btw, how much could something like this cost? Just a rough guesstimate, so I know what I'm in for.

6. Jan 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    the 2012-2013s daytime running lights stay on all the time even with the headlights...well every newer truck i see theyre on in the day and on at night.

the automatic headlights can be done...and i actually wanted to do it myself but decided not to...
    they sell kits to do it yourself...
    http://www.amazon.com/Directed-Elec...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214109050&sr=8-1

this member apperantly used it (tw)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/114734-automatic-headlight-kit.html

7. Jan 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    tacomalimited

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    My daytime running lights are actually just my side markers, my headlights don't come on at all, is that normal?

8. Jan 10, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    your daytime running lights on these trucks are your turn signals (in the middle) like here on my truck

[​IMG]

your side markers turn on when you flip your switch to just turn on your "parking lights" then obviously the last setting is turn on your headlights.

so what exactly do you want done? maybe i can give you an idea of something cheap or something :thumbsup:

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    tacomalimited

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    That's what I meant, my drl are like yours in the pic. My foglights don't turn on with my drl's though. I leave my foglights on all the time, but, they only come on when I turn my headlights on though. (I actually prefer that) What I would really like,would be to have my drl's on all the time, and have my headlights automatically come on at night. I might look into the link you posted. They look promising, I'm going to check some places in my area to see if they can install it. If anyone has them, please let me know if you like them. Will installing them void my warranty? Sorry for the long post! Thanx!

Products Discussed in

To Top