1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding blindspot monitor?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by digidan2017, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Aug 14, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    Optimaltaco

Optimaltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cochrane, AB
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off-Road
    TRD Pro - Grill and Rear Tail-Lights OEM Roof Rack FN overland 17x8.5” -6 BFG KO2 Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights 30” auxbeam light bar Custom built Canopy Readylift 3" spacer kit Deaver 1.5-2" AAL Amber hazard strobe lighting
  2. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    digidan2017

digidan2017 [OP] My New 2020

Member:
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport - Access Cab - Manual
    I am going to the Toyota deal tomorrow for my 5000 mile service. I will look at and investigate the RAV4 mirrors.

3. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    How about adjusting your outside mirrors properly. If you adjust them so that the driver does NOT see the side of the truck at all...in the mirror without having to lean over to do so....then you've got them adjusted right.. There is NO blind spot if you adjust the mirrors correctly... Try it....it works..!

That is the way I adjust mine... a car coming up from the rear can be seen in the rear-view mirror and when he pulles to the right or left...he is still there AND he's in the outside mirrors as well...

Try it... it works.... Just move your mirrors more outward.... no need to see the side of your truck...!!

grogorat likes this.
  4. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer

5. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    I posted a video in this forum. On how to adjust your mirrors. All you have to do is adjust them properly. Even in the FJ Cruiser with properly adjusted mirrors you can drive ok. Blind spot monitoring should be a drivers assist. Don't rely on it. You don't need to spend money on the truck in order to see your blind spots.

Rob Daman and over60[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:52 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    I say adjust your mirrors... there is NO blind spot in MY truck.... try it..!! You CAN remove the so-called blind spot if you believe..!!

Herniator likes this.
  7. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    100% man...
    You made me a believer..!!

Herniator[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 16, 2017 at 5:55 PM
    Chewy16

Chewy16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I have the BSM on my truck, and I see it in the corner of my eyes, but I turn around anyways because I am afraid the electronics can just fail at anytime. If in the future when I get a high clearance bumper and have to get rid of the BSM, I think I would get the small mirrors that attached to the side mirror. My thought process is that the simple stuff is just more reliable and I will just start getting used to those tiny mirrors after some time.

9. Aug 16, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Just try this.... adjust yer mirrors more outward...so you do not see the side of the truck without having to move yer body to the side..

I tell you... it works... the vehicle behind you WILL be in sight until he's beside your door...

PS.I agree.. turning yer head is a great idea and habit to keep....being a Motorcyclist, I know this is VERY important... Don't stop doing that...

10. Aug 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    digidan2017

Member:
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Spent a few hours at the dealer, getting my 5000 check, and had them road force my tires due to a vibration. One is defective and they are ordering me a new tire...meanwhile about the mirrors. In the past two days I did try moving my mirrors to the correct "outer" position, and yes indeed it does seem to work! Still drives me crazy looking at nothing but the side of road otherwise adjusted that way. It does seem to work though. It brings me right to where a quick look over the shoulder covers the rest.

I also test drove a RAV4 limited with the suggested other mirrors to see the difference. They were awesome, and I could see everything in the main view that I was used to, AND a very clear and perfect view of anything in the entire blindspot area, right up to immediately beside me. One glance, at there was no blindspot whatsoever. I would have swapped them out in a heartbeat, however, they wanted $85 for each mirror and $40 to install each. I am going to leave the mirror tilted out, as suggested for awhile and see if I can get used to them that way, and decide of they do indeed keep me feeling safe. I am tempted though with those RAV4 mirrors. They were designed perfectly. However...that was on a RAV4. Its possible due to the truck, size, height, length...they may not be the exact same.

And I ALWAYS have and always will take a look over my shoulder.

over60 and Herniator like this.
  11. Aug 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    I can't remember what I paid for my rav4 mirrors, but they literally pop right off. Unplug the heater element, and just reverse the process to install. 30 seconds per mirror. 5 minutes if you drink a beer during the job.

caribe makaira and AngryEagle like this.
  12. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    Are the mirrors shaped the same? And are they the same size as the Tacoma mirrors?

13. Aug 17, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Lt. Dangle

Lt. Dangle RIP @stun gun 2016-2020

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 7544
    Direct replacement.

Herniator[QUOTED] and tcjacado like this.
  14. Aug 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Are the Rav mirrors that much better... mmmm, I might have to take a look see, if they are a direct replacement like Lt. Dangle said..!!

Good luck either way..

15. Aug 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    digidan2017

Member:
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I am going to drive around awhile with the mirrors tilted out and see how that works. So far it does seem to solve the issue, but still have problems getting used to my mirrors aiming outward. You can't see what is coming up behind you at all and you watch the side of the road at all other times. Too me it is distracting. Yes the rearview mirror is for seeing whats behind, but still, it seems kind of strange. The RAV4 mirrors were great for all views at a glance, left and right. The little built in blindspot part of the mirror was very clear, undistorted and not fisheye (just aimed out). So all in all, it was two undistorted and clear views at one glance. Behind, blindspot and side (and for those that like to look at the side of their truck, well... :)

Lets see if I get used to it, as is, and save $250. The dealer said that yes, it wasn't complicated swapping the mirrors, but they can crack and break if not installed right and it is a delicate procedure. That is why I'd rather have someone who knows the actually procedure do it...and if they break one, its there doing.

Great topic though. I've learned how to aim my sideview mirrors, after 45 years of driving!

Rob Daman likes this.
  16. Aug 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    joepagejr

joepagejr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road Access Cab - Inferno
    I remember my driver's ed training in the vehicle from over 20 years ago: "mirror, signal, head-check" then execute the lane change

17. Aug 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    You may have yours turned out too much.... Try this....
    Get into the driving position and look at the mirror.....adjust it so you can just barely see the side of the truck..... THEN move your head about 5" left or right (depending on what mirror you are adjusting).....NOW keep your head there and move mirror out so that you can no longer see the side of the truck....

This works for me....when a vehicle is approaching and passing , I see them at all times in 1 or 2 mirrors.

Herniator likes this.
  18. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    digidan2017

Member:
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I decided to order the RAV4 mirrors today. Yes, the posts regarding adjusting the sideview mirror to see the blindspot are dead right. I spent much time, as I'm driving, adjusting them optimally with cars coming and passing me on both sides. You can get fairly close, until a smaller car passes you, so I aimed more down etc... However, in the process, you lose the ability to see anything behind you, and see quite closely the side lane, with markers, lights and lines going by. Too me this was distracting on an ongoing basis out of the corner of my eyes. The access cab does have a large blindspot, due to the placement of the small side window, headrest and the rear bed window not extending far on either side. When I am ready to change lanes, or look at traffic around and behind me, I want ALL mirrors to have as much view as possible. What made up my mind was the loss of being able to see anything behind-side together. The looking over your shoulder is nearly impossible (passenger side) with a the headrest (adjusted), the small side window and the huge posts around the side to back. You just plain can't be sure if it is clear. Being that the RAV4 mirrors solved these issues, I am going to have them installed and feel 100% safe again. The adjustment of the existing mirrors is a work-around and created new undesirable issues for me. With the cost of the truck, insurance, and my safety, if I can find a safer way...I'll do it. I HATE close calls! If a quick look over my shoulder had been unobstructed, I may have lived with it, but it isn't. I have a 4-Runner also and have no issues...because there is plenty of glass/visibility on the sides. I think the Tacoma extended cab would also have not been an issue, with more window. This may be the worst with the access-cab configuration.

19. Aug 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, sounds like the Access Cab is more of an issue..... Good luck with the new mirrors.... let us know how they work for ya.. OK..? :thumbsup:

20. Aug 25, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    digidan2017

Member:
    Mequon, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Just got my new "RAV4" mirrors put on my Tacoma Access-cab this morning. WOW what a difference. Everything is visible, clearly and not distorted. Great view with the main mirrors, aimed "yes, seeing a bit of the side of the truck". I can see a complete and clear whole view of everything through the main sideview mirrors, from side to behind, just up to where the blindspot would be and then the Non-fisheye little insert on the upper outside corner (which by the way is aimed outwards as previous posts had suggested I needed to do with my original factory mirror) shows a clear, large and undistorted view of the passing vehicle completely up to the point the vehicle is almost at my side to nearly ahead of me. Everything is covered with just a simple glance. What a relief to finally feel like I am seeing everything around me. That original mirror was just a disaster waiting to happen. As discussed previously, I think this is more of an "access-cab" issue, as there is nothing but obstruction over your shoulders and very little window glass to provide a side/rear view.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
To Top