1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding convex mirrors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awoit, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    awoit

awoit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    I'm looking @ putting some convex mirrors onto my current door mirrors and have seen trucks with them on the inside of the mirror and on the far outside of the mirror.. Any input as far as putting them on the inside or outside of the mirrors? I am doing this simply for more view of who is beside me as well as towing my boat/trailer in the summer time

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    The field of view in those little mirrors is so big, it doesn't matter where you put them as any location will cover the blind spot. As for me, I have them in the bottom outside corner. Best suggestion - before sticking with the foam tape, use a loop of scotch or masking tape to temporarily affix them to different locations, and see what you like. Bottom outside and bottom inside are generally the most popular locations.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I've got mine on the outside bottom corner, works for me!

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Definitely put them towards the outside of the mirror.

Of course if you are NOT towing then a properly adjusted mirror should virtually eliminate blind spots. I pull a small 8ft trailer and have perfect visibility with stock mirrors. Take the extra time to adjust them.. helps to have a second person walk back and forth along the truck to insure they are dialed in correctly.

When I pulled larger loads on an F150 the convex mirrors were very useful. And they are great for those unwilling/able to adjust their mirrors.

You can get very inexpensive stick-on ones that are about 2" round.

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    You have a back and rear side windows and a inside windshield mounted rear view mirror, only truckers need outside convex mirrors.

6. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:11 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Needed? Probably not. Beneficial? Absolutely. Especially if your rear view is obscured by an object your towing. Or in my case, my rear view is compromised by the shell on my truck (windows factory tinted). So I appreciate the added view the convex mirrors provide. Hell they're under $5.00 for a set. They're one of the cheapest safety mods you can do!

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    but the outside mirrors on the Tacoma are very small, they are the same size as outside car mirror, not a 6x9" full size pickup truck mirror, even a small size convex mirror will take up too much space covering the stock mirror and may restrict your view even more.
    I think its a wrong move and the way the glue super sticks its going to be hard to remove it once you install it.

Im not being mean to you, just giving you something to think about

8. Feb 26, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Outside of the mirror for sure. You'll see more of the truck body if you put them on the inside.

As far as needing them...... It's all about personal preference, and I prefer them. It definatley helps fill in the "blind spots" the side mirrors don't cover.

9. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    Hounddog

Hounddog Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '08 taco

Yes, you probably could get away without 'em if you don't tow larger trailers or do not have a canopy on the back. To say truckers only need them - I'll politely disagree. :)

If I look in my rear view mirror, all I see is a wall of tools in my canopy. If I shoulder check and try to find an opening through the tinted windows on my canopy, AND through all my tools to take a peek at traffic beside me, I still do not get a safe, and complete view of what's beside me.

I have to rely solely on my side mirrors for lane changes AND backing up. Period.

As well, I like the added benefit of a convex mirror so I can see where my trailer tires are when completing sharp turns on narrow roads. My stock mirrors don't reflect (no pun intended)where my trailer tires are.

So, as you can see, truckers aren't the only ones that , "need" convex mirrors ;)

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Hounddog

Hounddog Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '08 taco
    Indeed, the outside mirrors on our trucks are small (boo!) but to say an added convex mirror will take up too much space and restrict your view is something I personally haven't noticed. The convex is still a mirror. You're not, "loosing" any mirror viewing area, it's just now 2 types of mirrors you're looking into. Hope that makes sense. :)

As for the Super Glue - my convex mirrors adhere via double sided tape. I actually knocked one of my convex mirrors off by accident when I was scraping the ice off of my mirrors. All it took was a little wipe of,"Goof Off" and the mirror was clean for me to stick another one on. Not hard at all.

I'm not trying to be mean as well - I don't know if your comments are based on personal experience or speculation, so I'm just trying to convey my thoughts from my own personal experience of using convex mirrors. :)

11. Feb 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Convex mirrors are all personal choice. If I were you, I would put them on the bottom outside corners. That allows a better angle to directly behind you, and restricts you less by seeing only your fender.

Have a look at this webpage before you go out and buy some though. You may find that the stock mirrors are more than enough.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/car-ac...tenance/adjusting-your-mirrors-correctly.html

12. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    Do you have them on your tacoma?

Because I do, they don't restrict my view at all, and I enjoy mine every day!

13. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    x4

I could not do without those 3 buck things.

Let's you see everything...;)

14. Feb 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    say what????

Products Discussed in

To Top