1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Outside Temp

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IL14TacoGrey, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Feb 1, 2021 at 4:13 PM
    IL14TacoGrey

IL14TacoGrey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Tacoma SR5
    I have been looking at several different posts and was wondering what your recommendations would be for adding an outside temp display to a 2014 Taco.

Is is easier to install the overhead console or to get a auto dimming Gentex mirror, or what are the other options that I am missing.

2. Feb 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    You should first verify your truck is prewired behind the dome light area before shopping for a mirror.

I 'think' '13 was the last year for that prewiring, but I could be very wrong.

3. Feb 1, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    IL14TacoGrey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Tacoma SR5
    Do you know what color plug they typically have there?

4. Feb 1, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Mine was white 7 pin. I added the mirror with autodim, temp and backup display

5. Feb 1, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    Inside Outside Thermometer.jpg
    I ordered a $20 unit from Amazon, extended the thermocouple wires and made a small housing out of Kydex for it. The black duct tape will be replaced one day but it's been working great for a couple of months now.

Skada and deanosaurus like this.
  6. Feb 2, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    KactusJack

KactusJack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Collettsville, N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRD Sport
    Another cheap - er, INEXPENSIVE option...

I got this wireless unit at the suggestion of another TW poster. I used sticky-back Velcro to mount the sending unit on a flat surface on the backside of the grill, in front of where the factory sender mounts. Didn't know where to mount the display unit without it standing out like a sore thumb, then I discovered that it would fit inside the front glasses holder. It kinda jams in, and has held in place just fine. Of course, I need to open the glasses holder to see the display, but for less than 20 bucks, I can live with it.

7. Feb 2, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    My 14 was prewired, I went with the Gentex auto dim mirror from Bobs Mirrors.

8. Feb 3, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    My 15 was prewired, I went with the Gentex auto dim mirror.

9. Mar 6, 2021 at 4:02 PM
    IL14TacoGrey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Tacoma SR5
    I finally got around to checking and mine is prewired. Are there any other options other than the Gentex mirror?

10. Mar 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    IL14TacoGrey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Tacoma SR5
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Mar 6, 2021 at 5:52 PM
    Yukon DoIt

Yukon DoIt Opinionated Northerner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma DCLB 4wd Auto, 1988 Blue 4Runner 4wd Manual
    Stock-y
    What does your overhead console have instead of the display?

12. Mar 6, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    02Taco4x4Trd

02Taco4x4Trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Trd 4x4
    Do you have a link to the mirror?

13. Mar 7, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    No, sorry. Bought it in the BST forum here.

14. Mar 8, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    IL14TacoGrey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Tacoma SR5
    I have an extra pocket for sunglasses. Can you get a display that mounts in the 2014?

15. Mar 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Yukon DoIt

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Stock-y
    The 2014 has two sunglasses holders? Mine is an 06 which is slightly different and incompatible with 2009 and later, but with the 06 the display should fit where the garage opener goes. You may have to replace the entire overhead console if it doesn't fit in yours. Maybe someone else has swapped the display into those overhead consoles if you do more searching.

16. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    DiscoYaker

DiscoYaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4WD SR5 AC MT, 1995 Tacoma 2wd ext. cab auto
    Stock for now.. maybe
    20210308_135900.jpg

I've been thinking about adding outside temp and possibly a compass as well. The entune 'weather' sucks. I like the idea of stashing it in one of the sunglass cubbies. I figured it would probably be easier to run a hidden temp sensor wire from headliner to A pillar and then out somewhere instead of trying to utilize factory wires but maybe not. Maybe you can just splice into the correct wires (temp and power?) But I really don't need temp so bad as to buy a 200+ dollar mirror

17. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    Yukon DoIt

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Stock-y
    On a short research, it looks like the overhead displays weren't a thing in 2014. I wonder how hard it would be to modify the 2009 ones to work or if the hardware is all there for it.

18. Mar 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    Brian_d

Brian_d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    I believe the overhead display went away in 2012

Yukon DoIt likes this.
  19. Jan 11, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    I have a 2014 double cab. The wiring harness for the mirror was in place on my truck behind the overhead console. I installed a Gentex 455 auto-dim/compass/outside temp mirror from Bob's. It's used but looks brand new/can't be told from new and works flawlessly. Bob is excellent to deal with and is not just an excellent seller, he's excellent Tech Support too.

Installation went fine and I ran the wiring for the outside temp sensor through the unused grommet behind the power brake booster. Being a paranoid type, i didn't want to just probe around blindly through the firewall from the engine bay with just some random piece of wire. I took a small thin wooden artist's paint brush about 7" long and whittled down the end to a dull point. As an added bonus, it was painted bright yellow which I figured would make it easier to find under the dash. When it was obvious I was pushing against carpet on the other side of the grommet hole, I gently pushed the end of the paint brush through a couple if inches or so, and fingers crossed, went to look for it under the dash. It took a moment, but there it was: a little ways up and to the left of the parking brake mechanism. It was even pointed down because of the brake booster on the firewall being in the way and forcing you to feed it through at a downward angle.

It took longer to fish the sensor wires through the middle of the grommet than anything else. I accomplished this by turning various bits like jewelers screwdrivers, small wood screws, piece of coat hanger and swiss-army knife reamers through the grommet until it was possible to feed the two wires through it into the hole in the carpet and into the truck. Pushed the grommet back into the firewall, moved the cable cover snug up to the grommet and put a small zip-tie around the end of it to hold it in place.

I decided to mount the outside sensor down on the far left/driver's side in the bumper slot instead of behind the grill on the center support. I have had several vehicles (Volvo's and Buick) with an outside temp display, and this was where the sensors for them were mounted on all of them. I think the reasoning was to read the temp closer to the road surface so as to warn of black ice possibilities. (which both would also display on the dash display when the conditions were conducive to it). The trade-off might be higher temp readings in the summer, but the slot in the bumper is about 24" up from the road on a 4x4 so that should help. I might experiment with the placement of the sensor in different spots once the warm weather returns.

I really missed the outside temp display and it's nice to have it back, especially in the winter. The compass is nice to have as well, but I have had one in several vehicles over the years and never paid all that much attention to it. I also like the auto-dim feature. It's progressive and varies according to the level of glare behind. (high beams on or intense LED's for example.) Same thing for the display readout brightness: It varies according to the level of light the forward facing sensor is reading as it gets darker or brighter, or maybe uses both front and rear sensors. To me, it adjusts the display brightness "just right" no matter what is going on: never too dim, never too bright. Slick.

Finally, as an unexpected bonus, it turns out that the 455 will also display the word "ICE" on the mirror when the temp drops to 38 degrees or below for about one minute after start-up, or if the temp drops to that level while driving. It alternates between the ICE warning and the current temp about every 6 seconds for one minute, then returns to the current constant temp reading display.

I had a lot of fun doing this upgrade. Toyota makes it easier with their easy-to-remove panels, fasteners, etc. I really didn't want to remove the sun visors, grab-handle housing, etc. but it was no big deal and made for a neater job, especially in the pillar area behind the grab handle cover.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    deanosaurus, geoff w and Dm93 like this.
  20. Jan 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    Williston

Williston Well-Known Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    Final note: I saw it mentioned recently somewhere in here, and was also warned by Bob/Bob's mirrors, that the factory sensor that can be seen on the support behind the grille, and looks like a temp sensor (on my 2014 at least), -cannot- be used for the rear view mirror outside temp display, nor spliced or tapped-into for use as same. It's still used for something in the truck, and doing so will instantly destroy expensive electronic parts in the vehicle, including the mirror: $1,000+ dollar mistake, plus labor.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    deanosaurus likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top