1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adivce on an after market system

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Femino, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Femino

Femino [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Recently purchased a 2010 left over SR5 access cab. 1st truck and 1st Toyota. I love it!

As I've quickly found out, though, the factory (non JBL) system sucks!!!

Really surprised that Toyota would skimp on anything. So I'm looking to get into an after market system. I'd love some input on blue-tooth HU's that support iphone 4. Not looking for anything crazy...dont need the full screen with dvd or nav. I want a nice HU that will support my iphone 4 and adequetly power a new set of door speakers. I have the tweeters as well. Budget is around $500.

Should I replace the doors and tweets?
    Can I continue to use steering wheel controls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. Mar 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    500 is a stretch for a HU and new speakers I would bump that budget up a little. If your going to be replacing the door speakers you want good ones otherwise it's not really worth it replacing them. you should be able to pick up a Pioneer deck for about 350, 400 with the install stuff and a little more if your having it installed. and 100 to 200 for door speakers. So i would say 600 or even 700 would get you a nice system.Just remember HU only have about 15w rms so without and amp powering your speakers your not going to get much out of them.

3. Mar 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    x2 What JLee said... unfortunately $500 won't go real far especially with your desire for bluetooth. :(

4. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Jeremy92

Jeremy92 Tennessee Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Smyrna, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 AC SR5 Prerunner Impulse Red
    Billies on all the way around, w/ Eibach Coils, w/ rear TSB. Brush Guard. Tail Light Guards.Window Rain Deflectors. 35% tint on side windows. Satoshi Grill(thanks TacoAlaMode). Fog Light Mod (thanks lifesaflaw123). 17x9 XD addicts wrapped in Kumho SAT Kl 61's 265/70/17.More to come!!!
    The sound wont change much with just replacing you headunit, you'll have to change out the speakers too. I have apline HU and polk speakers( all of them), with an alpine amp to power. Sounds way better than stock IMO. Don't skimp out on you system cuz your gonna be listening to it daily so get what you think sounds good. Good Luck

5. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    Femino

Femino [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Thanks everyone. from what I'm seeing online I can get a decent HU for less than $250. I'm certainly not looking for top of the line speakers. I've run of after market HU's in past (sans amp) to 6.5' door speakers, and 6x9's and had great sound. I dont need mind blowing volume....

Does any one know anything about this?http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13364_Pioneer-FH-P8000BT.html

Again all input is greatly appreciated.

6. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Quickly checked out the sonicelectronix, crutchfield, & Amazon reviews and most all were very good. I also used TW's search function on "FH-P8000BT" and I saw where several TW members have that HU. Check those threads out too and PM members for their opinions. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top