1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice: Buy 2006 Taco with 78K miles?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kevinabb, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    kevinabb

kevinabb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-cyl. manual SR5
    Time for me to solicit more advice from this wonderful forum! I own a 2006 Taco, PreRunner, SR5, 4-cyl, 5-speed. Bought it used @17K, now has 34K. Everything great, except tires are old. But for work purposes I now need an Access Cab. Trying to do this:

- Sell my Taco.
    - Buy a bare-bones used Access cab: 4-cyl, 5-speed. No SR5, no PreRunner.
    - Come as close as possible to break even $$$. (Cash is tight and I'm in Cali which means an extra 10% to the state in tax, reg., fees, etc.)

No-frills Access Cabs seem rare here, esp. under 50K miles. When I find one the asking price is $15-18K (!!) I just drove a 2006, exact config that I'm looking for, even the color I prefer. Good maintenance records, looks and drives great. Clean Carfax, FWIW. But has 78K miles. Seller is being deployed to Iraq (ouch!) and wants $10,800K firm, which is about $1500 below private-party KBB.

I've never bought a vehicle with over 20K miles on it and I'm nervous about doing so. Yeah, it's a Taco and all, but still ...

I don't drive a lot: put about 1K/month on my current Taco. I just hate to start out at 78K even though the car seems fine. What do you all think? Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    I think that you are getting into it for a good price, so lets say it does go south worst case i would think would be a transmission goes out you replace it and then sell it right after, you would probably have lost 2 grand if this all happened in the first month.

Im just saying the best way to minimize risk is to get it cheap up front so you can always get out.

I really would have no worries about this.

Good luck with what ever you end up doing.

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Thats seems to be a good price on that truck, if your needs are for a access cab then & money is tight, Id jump on it. As 06Red said....even if the tranny went, the most you would lose is 2g's. But its a yota, 78k is only at 30% of its life right now.

4. Nov 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    kevinabb

kevinabb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 4-cyl. manual SR5
    Thanks for the advice! I did purchase the Access Cab with 78K on it. Should be picking it up today or tomorrow. I still cringe at basically trading a 34K vehicle for a 78K, but I guess that's the price of an Access Cab.

Right after the deal was completed (of course) I found two low-mileage 1st gen. Xtra Cabs, one 66K and the other 45K. That's what I'd been hoping to find for several months and finally gave up on. If anyone from SoCal is looking, you can find them on AutoTrader. Both are from private parties asking $10K+/-. Seems to me like a good price range but I haven't checked KBB. No point in it now.

5. Nov 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Good Luck with purchase. throw up a Pic of it sometime.

Products Discussed in

To Top