1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for a 2.5" lift on a 2nd Gen - Now with Pics!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 09TRDSport4x4, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Feb 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

09TRDSport4x4 [OP] OCD Approved!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Hello All,

I picked up my 2009 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 back in October with 46k miles on it. As I approach 50k miles on the truck I'm looking to replace both my tires and my shocks so I figured why not add a moderate lift while I'm at it. I've been doing a ton of research and reading thread after thread about lifts and I've decided to go with a < 3" lift to keep things more affordable and to keep my ride as close to stock as possible (that and my 5'2" wife would probably kill me if I made the truck too much taller). At this point, I've decided I'd like to go with a 2.5" lift so that I don't have to mess with my UCAs or worry about not being able to get my alignment back in check after the install. I've listed my current plan for accomplishing a 2.5" lift below but could use some advice and have listed some of my questions. Here is the plan:

Shocks: Bilstein 5100s front and rear

Front Springs: Stock? Will I see a difference in lift height or ride quality if I go with Eibach springs or OME 885s? From what I've read thus far, it seems to me that all I will get out of an aftermarket spring is the ability to choose a lower setting on the front 5100 to achieve my desired lift. Outside of that, would I see any major differences using my stock spring versus aftermarket?

Rear Springs: I currently have 3 leaf non TSB rear springs but my truck is eligible for the new recall and it appears that Toyota has announced they will be replacing the springs with new 4 spring leafs sometime in the future. Knowing that, I was planning on using an Icon 1.5" AAL or a Toytec 2" AAL spring in the rear. I'm looking to keep a slight forward rake on my truck (ideally 3/4" or 1" of forward rake) so I don't want to raise the rear too much. Which option do you guys think will work the best?

Tires: 265/70/17. I'm currently sitting on stock 265/65/17s but would like a moderate increase in size to go with the lift. I've also read in some other threads that going up a size will help correct my speedo which would be an added benefit.

Anyway, I've been pricing things online and so far it looks like I'm going to be in the ballpark of $500-$700 for this kit. I'm going to have a friend of mine help me install it at his shop so I don't expect that to cost me much more than a case of beer. What do you guys think of my plan? Will I be able to comfortably and reliable achieve my 2.5" lift goal without sacrificing ride quality? Also, one last question, I've been reading about a differential drop kit, would this be necessary with a 2.5" lift on a 4x4 model? What exactly is the benefit of dropping the differential?

Thanks in advance guys and I apologize if these questions have been asked before. I had a hard time getting the search function to let me search for threads about 2.5" lifts. All I kept finding were 3" lift questions which helped me start my research but before I buy anything I wanted to make sure my plan would work and that I'd be happy with the final outcome.

2. Feb 11, 2015 at 3:09 PM
    taco211

taco211 Well-Known Member

Member:
    socal
    See above...HTH

3. Feb 11, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    07whiteTRD

07whiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White
    I'm glad I continue to research this. Always finding new information. Because here I thought going with the 5100 and stock springs was the way to go and it appears maybe I misread some other information. Because if I do lift it I don't want my truck riding like a rock down the road.

So it would appear to me the best option for a stock ride quality with a lift would be to do the 5100s front and rear with Eibach springs and Icon add a leaf rear. And a diff drop depending. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This was my first thought on a complete kit http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/headstrong-kits-tacoma-05-6-lug.html
    I was looking at the first kit w/ Eibach springs diff drop and strut assembly bringing the total to about 700+s/h

Didn't mean to hijack your thread but you had very similar concerns as I.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Feb 13, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Thanks taco211, you have provided some very helpful information!

With that said, I have a few followup questions now that you've helped me understand how the 5100s and the coils produce lift. If I'm looking to achieve a "stock like ride" with a 2"-2.5" lift, which aftermarket coils would you recommend? And which setting would I want to use on the 5100?

If I'm understanding the product description correct on the Toytec website, their 3" coils are designed to produce 2.5" of lift on the lowest setting of the 5100 and the Eibach branded coils are designed to produce 1.6" of lift. Assuming the lowest two settings on the 5100s are 0 and .75" I'm guessing if I went with the Eibach springs I'd be looking at using the second setting in order to give me just under 2.5" of lift? If that is the case, what is the difference between the two sets of coils? They both are listed for $169.99 which makes it even more difficult to decide. The only thing swaying me one way or the other right now is that I've used Eibach springs on a few of my past cars and that is a more familiar name to me.

5. Feb 13, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius

6. Feb 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain

My personal opinion here, and Ill probably get flamed for recommending it.

Like you I was looking for 2.5" of lift. So I went with 5100's at 2.5". This rode horribly rough, and this was because I have a trd offroad with progressive springs.

I am now in the process of lowering it down to 1.85" with my 5100's at .85" and .5" top plate spacer. Right now I am running trd OR springs, .5" spacer and 5100 at .85 and its way better than when they were at 2.5".

The eibach coils have a higher spring rate than stock springs so you are going to have a rougher ride than stock.

I suggest you get a 3/4" top plate spacer, this will give you about 1.5" of lift and then set the 5100's to .85 with stock trd sport springs, as they are not progressive you will keep your 540lb spring rate even when compressed.

Top spacers are not good for large lifts as the reduce the up travel of your shock, but at only 1.5" of lift you will not have to worry and it will not affect the ride quality.

I have just purchased trd sport springs to replace my trd offroad springs and will be putting them on in the next couple days.

This is my suggestion because the eibachs/ome will stiffen your ride and you will feel the cracks and bumps in the road more than your stock springs. No lift will be as smooth as stock, but what I am suggesting will be the closest in ride quality and it will give you 2.35" of lift.

If you absolutely want new coils, ome's have a lower spring rate than the eibach's.

EDIT - One other thing I forgot is that everyone will tell you that you do not need upper control arms for 2.5" of lift. While you may end up in spec with your alignment at 2.5" your camber will be off horribly and your truck will be very squirly on the highway. This happens when you go with anything over 1.75". Once again my opinion, but you will find that most people who lift 175" or higher find their truck doesnt feel as stable on the highway until they get uca's.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  7. Feb 13, 2015 at 2:20 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    One more thing to note is add a leafs usually make your ride stiffer as well, take your truck to a spring shop and have them fab a leaf and re-arch.

8. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Thanks for all the input guys. Lot's of great info here and I greatly appreciate the advice!

Anyway, after doing a bunch more research and looking at pictures of different setups, I think I've narrowed it down to the following options:

Option 1:

Shocks: Bilstein 5100s all around
    Front: Eibach 1.6" springs installed on the .85 setting (~2.45" of lift)
    Rear: Icon 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL

Option 2:

Front: OEM TRD Sport springs installed on the .85" setting with a .75" top spacer (~2.35" of lift)

Option 3:

Front: OEM TRD Sport springs installed on the 1.75" setting with a .25" top spacer (~2.25" of lift)

Option 4:

Front: Eibach 1.6" springs installed on the 0 setting with a .25" top spacer (~2" of lift)

Option 5:

Front: OEM TRD Sport springs installed on the .85" setting with a .5" top spacer (~1.85" of lift)

Of those five options, which do you guys think will ride the most comfortable for daily driving purposes? I understand that any change I make is going to impact the ride quality versus stock, but from what I've read on these forums, a lot of people claim that a mild lift with new shocks makes the truck feel more connected to the road even if it does feel a bit more stiff. And being entirely honest, I'm not all that impressed with the stock ride of my truck, at least not at almost 50k miles. I'm sure it was a lot smoother and less harsh new but the OEM Bilsteins have seen better days after 6 years of use. Ether way, I don't mind a slightly stiffer ride as long as my teeth aren't rattling over every little bump and I'm not hitting the bump stops every time I hit a large pothole or on the rare occasion when I take the truck off road.

9. Feb 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

I basically have option 1 currently: 5100s at .85 with Eibachs and wheelers offroad 2'' progressive springs in the back. I love it. It's not too rough but more controlled than stock - ie. stiffer but not rough. In the past I've run OME all round (was also nice, with the exception of the rough single AAL), and I've run 5100s up front at 2.5 with the oem sport linear springs (too bouncy and soft). So i'm in for option 1.

10. Feb 15, 2015 at 8:23 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I think all of those options are good, none of them will be too rough. I still stick with my suggestion as you first said you wanted to maintain stock ride quality. The 5100's alone with stock springs will make you feel more connected to the road and reduce diving in turns as well as stopping. Option 2 will give you as close to 2.5" as possible while maintaining as close to stock ride quality.

I don't mind option 4 either. I like around a 2" lift myself, 2.5-3" I would suggest UCA's.

Just remember if you get eibach's that you will need a lean spacer on the driver side.

I'm sure after this many years on your stock shocks that any upgrade you choose here will impress you. Good luck!

11. Feb 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    Ok, so after doing even more research, I'm leaning towards either Option 3 or Option 4 right now. I've been reading more and more about the potential for "wandering" or a "less controlled" feeling on the highway at 2.5" of lift (on the stock UCAs) that I'm thinking a lift in the 1.75"-2" range is going to be my best bet. Especially considering that this truck is my daily driver and that 70 to 80 percent of my driving is done on a highway. As for the cost, obviously Option 3 is going to be the least expensive of the two but I'm still somewhat concerned about ride quality of the OEM springs at the 1.75" setting. That and if I spend the extra $180 or so and go with Option 4 it gives me the ability to "upgrade" my lift sometime in the future without too much trouble or additional cost. Whenever I have the cash to spend on new UCAs and I want to achieve a bit more lift, I can simply move the Eibach springs up to the .85" setting and call it a day.

Also, for what it's worth, I took a tape measure to the truck the other day and as it sits right now on the stock Bilstein shocks and OEM TRD Sport springs, the driver's side front is .5" lower than the passenger side front when measured from the ground. This leads me to believe I'm going to need a "lean" spacer regardless of which option I choose.

12. Feb 17, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    MTyota

MTyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 2.7 5spd SR5 4x4
    ABS switch, tailgate lock, factory fogs, tonnopro loroll, icharger aux cable, 10mm hex oil plug swaps
  13. Feb 17, 2015 at 10:53 PM
    07whiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White
    See now when I looked into the Eibachs I was told they would provide a 2.5" on the Bilstein shocks when set at 0. And that was without any spacers and on a double cab. Meaning ever bigger lift on an access or regular cab. Here are spring rates I was given.

Eibach “2.5” lift coils 610 lbs spring rate 391 mm in length
    OME 883 coils 590 lbs spring rate 375 mm in length
    OME 884 coils 590 lbs spring rate 390 mm in length
    OME 885 Coils 590 lbs sprign rate 395 mm in length
    OME 886 coils 660 lb spring rate 402 mm in length
    OME 887 coils 590 spring rate 400 mm in length

I was suggested to use the 884 coils if I wanted to stay near 2" and again that was no spacers and bilsteins set at 0 I believe. maybe 85. I don't recall at the moment.

14. Feb 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

Eibachs need to be paired with the bilsteins set at .85 to net roughly 2.4 inches of lift. The springs themselves only give about an inch and a half. But you're right about the 884s. They give roughly 2 inches on a doublecab alone.

15. Feb 18, 2015 at 7:15 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    There is two different eibach springs available,

1.6" 2.5"

16. Feb 18, 2015 at 7:23 PM
    07whiteTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NY
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport White

learned that today thank you! looks like headstrong has the 2.5 ones.

looks like I will be going with the 884. would these coils require a spacer for the driver side lean?

17. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    Just for reference I had my alignment done today after installing trd sport coils. This is with 5100 at .85 and a 1/2" spacer, giving me approx 1.85" of lift. This is the best they could get. Even though the camber is in spec its still off and will cause uneven tire wear. Also the caster is as high as they could get it.

20150219_091935.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  18. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    BCROGERS

BCROGERS Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Reg. Cab Manual
    Some kind of exhaust not sure what or if anything else.
    :D Theres a lot of good info on this thread!

19. Feb 19, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    09TRDSport4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southwest Ohio
    I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Given the countless threads about lifts on this site alone and not to mention the ridiculous amount or information elsewhere on the internet, it's good to know that I can talk to people who have firsthand experience with the different setups I'm considering. Also, thanks for not making a new guy feel like such a newbie. :thumbsup:

With that said, I've narrowed down my choices of lift kits to two options, both of which should net me right around the same amount of lift and cost almost exactly the same. I'm now targeting 2" of lift and my goal is the most comfortable ride I can get. Anyway, for what is hopefully the last time, here are my choices...

Option 1:

Front: Eibach 1.6" springs installed on the lowest setting with a .25" spacer (.5" top spacer on the driver's side to correct the lean) ~2.1" of lift
    Rear: Wheeler's Off Road 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL

Option 2:

Front: OME 884 springs installed on the lowest setting (.25" spacer on the driver's side to correct the lean) ~2" of lift
    Rear: Wheeler's Off Road 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL

To be entirely honest, I could either way at this point. Part of me says not to get the OME springs because I'm not going to pay extra for the OME shocks but the other part of me says, forget the extra top plate spacer and go with the OME springs that give you a full 2" of lift on their own. My biggest concern right now is longevity. After I install this setup with new my tires, I'm not going to want to mess with the suspension for a long while so I need to make sure I'm satisfied. I don't want to deal with a sagging front suspension 6 months or a year down the road and I definitely don't want a decrease in ride quality after a few months of use. Anyway, let me know what you guys think because I'd like to get this kit ordered so I've got something to look forward to. I've had about enough of sub zero temps and snow and I'm ready to get outside and work on my truck!

20. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    OME's with the lower spring rate get my vote.

Products Discussed in

To Top