1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for becoming RN

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Rustytaco71, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Got back into school, set on pursuing a career as an RN as its a job where you are providing a service/helping others, there is a surplus of jobs everywhere it seems, and is always an in demand job.
    That being said, I have about a year of school I need to do, to finish up the pre reqsrequired for the programs in my state.
    I currently work in a non-related field. I sometimes deal with very minor medical situations where I take individuals vitals, dispense meds, and coordinate medical care with doctors/nurses. Current job pays well so I’m wanting to stick with it up until I can apply to a nursing program and then have to quit and go part-time to do well in the program. Would it be better to finish school, get CNA certs, work at the hospital for a while and then apply? I’m not sure how heavily it weighs in your favor to have a CNA job moving onto RN or some medical job.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know there’s no clear cut answer but I’mtrying to get as much insight as I can to make the smartest move.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Bot_Chu likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Other than Boy Scout first aide I have no experience with anything medical. However, your question is not necessary medical. Generally it will come down to: what do you want to do, your talents, persistence and regional opportunity. For specific medical advice, talk to the nursing school counselor. Kudos for taking responsibility for your future. Good luck.

Rustytaco71[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:32 PM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Thanks for the kind words:cheers:

4. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    NYCTaco52

NYCTaco52 Half man, half goat

Member:
    First Name:
    Somehow known as Stewart, but named Ben
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Subaru Ascent
    I was a CLS in the military then became an EMT in the civilian world. Honestly hated the job, not because of the medical stuff, mostly because of the ridiculous people you'd deal with on a daily basis. Not saying this to discourage you, by all means, go at it 100%. But one thing I did notice is, if you get in good with the medical personal who deal with training and certs, you can move into the classroom setting for nursing quicker. By way of knowledge and who you know.

5. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Yeah I figured. In my current job I work with the more difficult population so I’ve been exposed to some pretty bad situations/people. Seems to always be that way, the more people you know the better:proposetoast:

6. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    Clark27

Clark27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Lexus GX460
    Not sure on your location OP but I would look to local programs and see what they require for job experience, shadowing hours, patient contact hours etc. Most programs will have their own set of requisite aside from your standard school classes and GPA. I’m not sure I would recommend finishing the courses required to apply only to go do an EMT course and work as an EMT. If anything I would look to volunteer at a local hospital or shadow local nurses for more medical experience. I worked as a medical scribe/tech in between college and PA school and while I don’t regret that decision and it’s the reason I got motivated and went back to school, it also found me in a bit of complacency. If you can shorten the time to get to your end goal, I would go for it.

7. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    Buschman

Buschman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma V6 4x4 5speed
    Kings, TC uppers , TRD rear end, 4.30s, 285's
    Maybe ask whoever runs the nursing program in your state and get their opinion. I'm guessing in the end it probably doesn't matter, just be prepared to sell yourself and your experiences as how they relate and will help you excel in the nursing field.

8. Apr 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    I’ve thought about volunteering for a bout a year before I apply to show commitment. Just waiting for summer to roll around and need to contact the hospital in my area.
    I’ve been motivated for a while just wasn’t too sure what to go for but now I think I finally had my clearing moment. Thank you for the advice!

9. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    @Bot_Chu is doing a nursing program I think, maybe he has some input

Rustytaco71[OP] and Bot_Chu like this.
  10. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    You're not applying for Harvard Law, commitment isn't really a factor. Ask the admissions counselor at the program you would like to apply to exactly what is required. They will tell you the prerequisite courses, any GPA requirements, and any disqualifying factors. The hospital may or may not be the school but if they aren't, they won't have to offer besides advice.

11. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    rocky_mountain_dave

rocky_mountain_dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd
    No direct medical experience but my wife is an RN and I work for a health system in a non-clinical position.

If I were in your shoes wanting to become an RN, after finishing the prerequisites, I would apply directly to nursing schools. If that doesn't work out, by all means be a CNA for a year to show commitment, and then try again. But I would start with applying to nursing school.

To me, finishing your current schooling which satisfies the prerequisites, in combination with the basic medical experiences you have at your current job, already shows a level of commitment. You are already in a job where you sometimes coordinate with doctors and nurses. That's a big asset - be realistic and don't embellish, but that's definitely something to highlight in your application essays/interviews.

Best of luck, I have tremendous respect for nurses.

Rustytaco71[OP] and 113tac like this.
  12. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    rocky_mountain_dave

rocky_mountain_dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd
    You might also get better responses if you post your question on a nursing forum like All Nurses.

13. Apr 16, 2020 at 6:49 AM
    Bot_Chu

Bot_Chu Du Ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate (Bot)
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 ACLB Prerunner
    Enkei RPT-1, ADS 2.5 F/R, 4" Spindles, Toyo RT 315/75/16
    So im currently enrolled into a LVN Program or a LPN depending on where you live. While i was applying for the RN programs out here in Cali, they were super impacted overall causing them to rely on a point scale which heavily focused on your pre req classes and the TEAS/HESI.

In your case i would keep working while trying to focus on getting those high grades for your general Eds. After that start applying for both the LVN & RN. The reason why im saying this is to have both options open. It took me over a year to get accepted and during that time i was wrenching on rigs out here on TW which i am very thankful for. Funny enough i did complete my CNA program which was needed as a requirement for the LVN School out here but not for the RN programs. So little odd when it comes to that.

Voulenteeering wise may not improve your admission rate, the only way it would is if the school is running its admission base off of points and that only contributes a few out here in cali.

Overall, depending on where you live and go to all the requirements may vary.

Rustytaco71[OP] and whatstcp like this.
  14. Apr 16, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Great information, I greatly appreciate it man! It’s nice to see that a lot of individuals have kept their normal jobs non-related to the field and still being able to get in. I think for the most part out here in Oregon they don’t require the CNA completion prior to the acceptance into a program. Right on though, thank you for being a wealth of information. Just have to get those good grades to show some competence!

Bot_Chu[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 16, 2020 at 9:55 AM
    Bot_Chu

Bot_Chu Du Ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate (Bot)
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 ACLB Prerunner
    Enkei RPT-1, ADS 2.5 F/R, 4" Spindles, Toyo RT 315/75/16
    No problem brotha! Just keep us updated in here and etc. Its a long ride so just stay focused. Big factor is PLEASE save money before you enter the program. Working and school can bedone but is a PITA.

16. Apr 16, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Oh absolutely, that’s why I’m trying to stay at my current job as it will allow me to not have to take loans for pre reqs and I can pay my way through and save some money for the program if I can get in by next fall. Definitely will want to work minimal part time during the program.

Bot_Chu[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top