1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for first time boat purchase

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by pdxrado, May 3, 2020.

1. May 3, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    pdxrado

pdxrado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Black 19 DCSB Sport
    The wife and I decided to jump into the boating world this year and are going to buy a pre-owned boat. Neither of us come from boating families and neither have ever owned a boat so we are literally starting from zero. I’ve received so much awesome advice for my Tacoma on this site I thought I would see if the fine folks wouldn’t mind sharing some advice for what I should look for.

A few things to know:

- we will use it primarily for family outings, with our little kids and our friends. Cruising lakes, maybe a little water sport fun, but mostly just another way to explore our fine state of Oregon and be outside on the water

-we like open-bow style

-our budget is $15k. any red flags with something like this or this , just as an example?

-should i purchase from a dealer instead of a private party so i have some level of warranty or protection? as a guy who doesn't really know how to wrench boats.

-does year the boat was made really matter as long as the hull is in good shape because its more about engine hours, or should is pend a little more to get something newer to reduce risk? reliability is probably the thing i'm most interested in

-some of these have "unknown" for engine hours, is that a huge red flag?

-is 135 HP enough to go out and do some fun cruising for 8 people?

-besides a bimini and a decent trailer, any other accessories you suggest i look for? i dont think we'll do much skiing so we donte need a tower, maybe tow an inflatable or something

-other advice?

thank you TW folks!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. May 3, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    rocky_mountain_dave

rocky_mountain_dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 4cyl 5spd
    Sounds like a lot of fun! As first time boaters, if you haven't already, consider spending a couple hundred dollars and rent a boat for a day. To help visualize what you want/need in a boat and what your priorities are.

3. May 3, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    pdxrado

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Black 19 DCSB Sport
    Yeah totally. We’ve done that 3 times now I’ve the past couple of years - it’s what has pushed us to finally pull the trigger.

4. May 3, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    Hooligans

Hooligans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 2.7/5spd.
    Still thinking about it.
    8 people? You are talking bigger boat for sure. I wouldn't worry about unknown engine hours...most boats don't keep track of that.

MadDaddy likes this.
  5. May 3, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    pdxrado

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Black 19 DCSB Sport
    Thanks. I guess what I mean is : are boats like tents , where “sleeps 4” really means “sleeps 2 and maybe one small child”?

MadDaddy likes this.
  6. May 3, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    The hull is typically rated to a max number of people or max weight.

I would suggest a boating safety course, my neighbor did that and it sure made riding with him more comfortable.

Hooligans likes this.
  7. May 3, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Hooligans

Hooligans Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 2.7/5spd.
    Still thinking about it.
    Nah, you need adequate seating, PFDs and power for all aboard. Depends on the boat. My 70HP tri-hull could never get on plane with more than four or five people aboard. Maybe it would carry alot more because they fit, but what you need is for it to get on-plane and perform fully loaded.

8. May 4, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    the 4.3 v6 at minimum, leaning toward V8.

AFMurse2014 likes this.
  9. May 6, 2020 at 1:04 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Bought my first boat just before this last winter and have spent tons of money since then :rofl: it's not going to stop, and I don't know if I have accepted that yet lol

Mine is blue, too.

10. May 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    If you don't have any friends with boats that help you I would say try and rent a few
    types of boat for a few hours. Spend time on the water with the top 3 boats you like.
    Some owners selling used with take you out for a test spin.

MadDaddy likes this.
  11. May 26, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    ThaiChillyTaco

ThaiChillyTaco David aka Chilly aka Booty Freak

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Goose Creek - South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey TRD Off-road 4x4 Longbed
    Rough Country 3.5 Lift SCS BR6 wheels rolling in 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks
    When you die you can't take any money with you. So go buy a boat :rofl:

Pinay likes this.
  12. May 26, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Best advice to consider when owing a boat....must have deep pockets.

13. May 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I just ran over a big ass log this weekend. Prop, strut, shaft, fiberglass & gel coat at minimum. $$$$

The next day, I wake up, go to load up my boat to take it to my buddies house and I have a flat tire on the trailer. Apparently I also picked up a rogue screw!

So, this morning I take the flat in to the tire shop to get plugged which is when I learned how to tell how old a tire is.

MY TRAILER TIRES ARE 18 F*CKING YEARS OLD!!!! ROFL. All original. So, adding 5 tires to the bill here. Let me just say, before you go thinking "why didn't he replace the tires sooner??". The tires do not look that old AT ALL. The prior owner kept it on the water, and I'm assuming the trailer spent most of its life in a garage. Seems so anyway.

So........

B.O.A.T.

Bust
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

Kolunatic and MadDaddy like this.
  14. May 26, 2020 at 2:09 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    consider boat storage. it's best if you have room where you live. i know lots of people that have to pay a storage fee, and that sucks!!

PFD's factor those into the buy in cost.

and, it may just be me: but i hated towing my brother's bass boat with my tacoma. it felt so heavy, and it was worse at trying to stop. it takes very little trailer weight to make my tacoma feel over taxed.

mallege likes this.
  15. Jun 1, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    I Fly AZ

I Fly AZ Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Access Cab 4x4 Sport
    I have been boating for 55 years. Have owned six myself. Have boated in the Great Lakes, Pacific Ocean, and lakes along the CO. river..... First. Find someone you trust that actually IS a boater. Pay them if necessary. You can get screwed real bad and real fast shopping blind. Best to buy new and get the warranty. But you will pay thru your butt. Try renting a few times.. See if you are truly into it or just a fad.

IMG_0165.jpg

mallege likes this.
  16. Jun 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Flowie

Flowie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    None yet
    A boat big enough for 8 isnt going to be pulled by a Tacoma...you are aware of this?

Where are you using this thing...just parked in a marina and then wrapped and stored for the winter?

Most modern marine engines now have a chip that shows hours on it.
    Older ones have an hours odometer...but its usually buried somewhere.

Brunswick owns most boat manufacturers...so one comoany makes most ofmthe boats. You need to find a boat that was made well during a certain time frame and buy that boat.
    All of them have their problems, be prepared for maintenance and a constant effort to keep it together.

MadDaddy likes this.
  17. Jun 12, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    My boat has a capacity of 10. A Tundra would pull it better, but the Tacoma does the job well enough :thumbsup:

18. Jun 12, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    and to answer one of your questions, op, my boat is rated for 10 but 10 would be tight unless 5 of them were little kids. 4 (not so big) adults and 3-4 kids work well. This is a mastercraft x10. the wrap around seating is great. 10 would pretty much be elbow to elbow.

19. Jun 12, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    I have never seen a boat with a real person rating.
    I consider the weight rating far more important then the # of people. You need to factor in the weight of coolers, toys, anchors....everything that did not come attached to that boat.

My buddy had a 19' bowrider that was rated for 8 people(I forget the weight #). With more then 5 people it struggled to get on plane with more the 5 people after factoring all the extra stuff(coolers are heavy!!!)

Then their is the boat I use the most. A malibu ski boat. Only rated for 5 people, but it still gets on plane with 11(only when a quick shuttle to dock).

MyToyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jun 12, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I prefer the expeession, “ The only thing better than owning a boat is having a friend who owns a boat.”

Im sure you know maintenance costs are really high in boating. Ive worked at a sailing center as a sailing instructor for over a decade (and eventually got my captains license) so i like to recommend folks get a membership at a sailing center or yacht club where they can use various boats and not have to pay to up-keep or store them.

The main thing you need to look out for is fiberglass damage. Never buy a boat thats in the water. You need it up on racks or a trailer to inspect the hull- like checking for rust. Push and jump all over it. Any soft spots, you walk away. Stick your head in every nook and cranny to look for any damage.

Engine hours are hardly ever tracked.You can tell a lot about what shape the motor is in during start up, old problematic engines will take a few tries and sputter smoke, or stall out.

You wont be hauling balls by any means with 8 people at 125 hp, more like slow and steady. I enjoy using Skiffs as they have a lot of open space. Definitely get a VHF radio, throwable line, throwable cushion.

Buying an old boat can get you a great deal, couple years back my friend bought an Islander 37 from 1978 and it has been great. Main thing you gotta look out for is rotted or cracked fiberglass and an engine that is on its way out. People will often sell boats in good condition just because they dont use them enough and dont want to pay for upkeep

And yes boats are like tents, sleeps 7= sleeps 5 max

If you have other questions feel free to message me. I know nothing about tacomas compared to boats. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top