1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice for keeping a black truck clean

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by patriotcommando, May 18, 2016.

1. May 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    patriotcommando

patriotcommando [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma SR
    Hey folks,

I just got not only my first brand new vehicle, but my first Tacoma (V6 4x4 four-door SR). I knew white would be easier to keep clean, but when I saw white and black side by side, I had to go with the black because it's just so distinct. Trouble came the first time I washed it. As black vehicle owners know, it takes some special techniques and practices to avoid swirl patterns, scratches, and other noticeable problems as you wash and I'm having a tough time keeping it pristine. I'm new to taking care of a black paint job and would love some advice that will help me keep my new truck looking as awesome as possible. Any wise words would be greatly appreciated!

2. May 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Chesh

Chesh Well-Known Member

Member:
    My truck is my first black vehicle too. Do you ever take it off road? Because if you do, take my advice and just learn to love leaving your truck dirty. I tried fighting that battle for a couple months after driving off the lot and gave up a long time ago. Just easier that way, and it keep the trail stripes that'll just piss you off even more better hidden.

patriotcommando[OP] likes this.
  3. May 18, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Wax it. I have a black Miata and find a good wax job every 6 months does the trick. I use a carnuba type wax.

4. May 18, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    As a retired auto dealer, vintage car enthusiast,all round car guy ; I always had a love - hate relationship with any black vehicle.

A black vehicle, especially one with the newer deep gloss ploy paint; is beautiful; for about two seconds. Even pollen in the air can make the finish look terrible.

Certain lights in a building really bring out the scratches and swirls in the paint; of a otherwise perfect paint finish. I know we experimented with just about every kind of bulb.

Not even getting in to what happens on a short drive anywhere.

When we building Street-Rods and Hot rods; we had to be especially careful on what style of car we would use black accents on.

Enjoy it while it is clean and get used to fussing over it.

5. May 18, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    1. Clay bar/wax it 2x per year
    2. Hand wash with quality micro-fiber mit and good carwash soap
    3. Dry with a quality chamois
    4. Use quick detailer to clean up
    5. only wipe front to back (no circular motion)
    6. Only use quality microfiber
    7. DO NOT TAKE IT THROUGH AN AUTO WASH NO MATTER WHAT...unless you're cool with swirls and spider-web scratches
    8. Only look at your truck from at least 5 feet away

Black is awesome, but there is no getting around the issues that come with it. Don't worry, even when it's dirty it's still the sexiest truck on the block.

bohpoli and patriotcommando[OP] like this.
  6. May 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    First things first. Learn a proper 2 bucket wash. 2nd use a quality detail spray/drying aid along with quality microfiber to dry. Not talking Walmart quality either. 3rd skip the wax, use a coating instead. I am using Optimum Gloss Coat. Put the coating on as soon as you can. Super easy to work with. It will help protect the paint much better than wax or a sealant. More importantly bird bombs will wash off with no etching of the paint.

7. May 18, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    This has been my approach as well.

8. May 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    patriotcommando

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma SR
    This is some first-rate advice -- thanks everyone who tossed in some thoughts!

ace96 and Hairy Taco like this.
  9. May 18, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    in addition to everything everyone else has said - california car duster. Only use it when the truck is impecably clean - to lightly brush off the dust and pollen that falls on the truck during the day.

10. May 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    That is a great swirl inducer. I would avoid like the plague. Avoid anything that you wil drag/slide across the paint without some sort of lubricity agent.

11. May 18, 2016 at 8:33 PM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    Definitely had to check if lubricity was a real word haha...It is

ace96[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 18, 2016 at 8:38 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Clean the paint then wax the shit out of it and seal it. Use damp microfiber cloths.

13. May 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Use foam applicators for any last step products you use (waxes/sealers). The cheap-o microfiber applicators from auto parts stores can make a mess out of black paint when applying by hand.

Ace had some good tips for you-- two bucket wash, etc. If you go with a coating, any scratches/swirls that are present will be there until the coating wears off if you don't polish first. Coatings can last 1-2+ years. See optimum gloss coat or Wolfgang Uber ceramic coating on Autogeek if you'd like to read about coatings.

No chamois. If you must, blot dry only (I actually like the absorber synthetic chamois for this- then I finish with a microfiber). And blot dry with HIGH QUALITY microfiber only. Get a few gold plush towels on autogeek and you'll be set. Always use a drying aid (Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax anywhere is nice stuff- super slick). But you can use any detail spray. Griot's Speed Shine is also nice.

With proper wash and dry technique, you'll keep it nice for a long time. Also, whatever experimenting you do with products- do test spots first. Make sure you're satisfied with whatever methods/products you're using before doing the whole truck. I'd stick to a sealer instead of a wax. Not only do they last longer (typically), they tend to come off a lot easier when you remove them (not as much pressure on your towel).

Coatings are expensive. Sealers are not. A couple sealers you might like-- Menzerna Power Lock or Duragloss 111/601 combined. These products will make it so you might be able to get away with just washing with a pressure washer for a majority of your washes-- so instead of using a wash mit every time, you just use it every 3 or 4 times. Swirls on black are inevitable, but the less you touch your paint, the better.

14. May 18, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Obviously opinions vary. But you unless you're gonna wash your car every day, you have to weigh leaving the dirt on it vs using the duster to glide it off when it's freshly fallen. You can't "push" or "wipe" with it. If the dirt sits on overnight and gets bound on with a layer of evaporated condensation, it's too late. But for fresh dust on a clean, waxed truck, and used with a light hand, there's not really any risk of marring the paint.

ace96[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Marring isn't the issue. You run more of a risk of causing swirls. There is a difference.

16. May 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Fine. Swirls.

The point is: are you going for a "show car" finish or just a very clean good looking car?

If you want a show car finish, you're obviously garaging the car and keeping it covered when you're not driving it. A car duster should never touch a show car.

But if you just want a clean car, you're probably parking it outside. Dust WILL fall on it. Now, do you get more paint damage by leaving that dirt to accumulate all week between your saturday washes? Or by dusting it off each afternoon after it falls - in addition to regular wash and wax? Dust and dirt is abrasive and merely leaving it sit on the paint will damage it.

I say dusting it leads to a better looking overall clean-not-show-car look.

Your mileage may vary.

17. May 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Both my vehicles live outside 24/7. I don't always get to clean/dust them after every rain or pollen drop. You are more likely to cause damage from the duster than letting dust sit on the car. Especially with proper washing techniques that substantially reduce the risk of swirls. A quality finish can be maintained with or without a garage.

If dust and dirt damage it just sitting, then what does it do with the duster sliding across the paint?

18. May 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Keep it CLEAN?

Sell it and buy a gray truck.

When you finish a wash it'll be dirty again. Owning a black vehicle is like being married to a bipolar woman, she's absolutely fucking insane. But damn near exciting at each curve.

LivinLoud and ace96 like this.
  19. May 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

digitaLbraVo[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. May 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    patriotcommando

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma SR
    Harpolith,

You mention blot drying if I must. Do you suggest air drying then tuning up remaining spots by blotting with microfiber? Obviously I'll need to be using soft water, I've already encountered some of the problems hard water causes (I live in Utah, the water here is really mineral-rich). And thanks for all the product suggestions, I have some stuff to try!

Products Discussed in

To Top