1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

advice needed on my towing situation

Discussion in 'Towing' started by bryntowin, May 12, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    bryntowin

bryntowin [OP] Member

Member:
    i have a 2004 toyota tacoma v-6 off road package came with tow hitch and wiring for trailer but not a complete tow package i have orange on my fan

i just got a 07 fleetwood arcaida tent trailer the thing is huge for a tent trailer dry weight is 3200# and gross was around 4000#

the question is do you guys think i would be fine with just a transmission cooler and the trailer brakes wired w/controller

i do live in the mountains tows will mostly be under 200 miles maybe a couple long trips

2. May 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You should be fine at 4k gross.
    Even the non-tow package 2.7 is rated to 4500.
    With a trans cooler and trailer brakes, you basically have completed what is missing from the factory tow package as long as you have a proper Class-III(or IV) receiver.

3. May 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    bryntowin

bryntowin [OP] Member

Member:
    it looks to me like it is a class III so 5000#
    i have not towed with it yet and wanted to get advise

4. May 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Keep it out of overdrive and you will be fine with the listed upgrades. Pracyice towing it around town first though so as to get a feel for how your truck handles the loas.

5. May 12, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    OD is fine as long as the transmission is not hunting between OD and high.
    The low engine speed is not what overheats the trans... it is the clutch slippage during engagement/disengagement during shifting that increases trans heating.
    If the engine and trans are "happily" remaining in one gear, it is best to let them stay there. There is no reason to kill fuel economy over a fear of running in OD when it is not warranted.

6. May 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    While I understand the hunting issue I have never seen an OEM say it is ok to tow in OD with an automatic. I would only use my OD if towing on flat ground with minimal elevation changes with a trans cooler.

7. May 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    Doug2000

Doug2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L
    I bought my 08 to tow a Fleetwood Redwood14' high wall, a very similar trailer, yours probably has a slide, mine didn't. I had the brake controller, no tranny cooler, a class 3 Reese receiver and a Husky weight distribution hitch.
    I towed it through lots of hilly areas of Northern Ontario with no problem. I drove it in OD most of the time and always cruised around 70mph. The most important part of the setup was the Weight Distribution Hitch, without it the truck will bottom out with gear in the bed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337064027.156724.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337064071.752587.jpg

I was very happy with that setup, it towed like it wasn't even back there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337063968.044524.jpg

8. May 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    hello, now I am not bragging but I have towed more equipment trailers than I care to count over the years, and the first tip is to just take it easy on take-offs. also, I would advise you on having the strongest hitch installed on your truck, overkill is always best and a good set-up for safety chains, and we always had bungy cords in the truck, to make sure safty chains did not drag the grounds. you want them loose, but not dragging. I am sure you will make sure the truck is serviced, make sure the auto-trans fluid is in good shape, for extra protection use synthetic. and while my uncle who was in the business for 35 years did not like ball hitches, when we used them, or sold them to customers we only used the heavy duty ones. while they cost more and good forged 2" ball has a 10,000 pound cap. and will last almost forever, and will not fail you. and keep a little grease on it, and the trailer hitch so it will operate smoothly. spending alittle more upfront will help prevent a failure on your trip and ruin a vacation. good luck.

9. May 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    bryntowin

bryntowin [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks guys great info here i order a brake controller and wiring kit i will install the brakes and take it for a spin and see how it goes then add on based on how it pulls and feels

10. May 16, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    to be safe, with you being in the mountains, I would get a trans cooler installed as well. Better safe than sorry when you are going up a mountain and next thing you know your trans is overheating and your sitting on the side of the road... Just my opinion and what I would do.

Products Discussed in

To Top