1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[Advice Needed] Previous Repairs Discovery on 2017 TRD Pro After Purchase

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by GoalieMan33, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    GoalieMan33

GoalieMan33 [OP] Member

Member:
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    2017 Concrete Tacoma TRD Pro
    Hi guys,

Last month, we purchased a used 2017 Toyota Tacoma with ~31k miles from a Toyota dealership in Michigan. Dealer provided the Carfax, which showed nothing beyond routine maintenance.

We've been having issues with the touchscreen restarting over and over again, we created a Toyota Owners account online to check vehicle history to see if that issue had been addressed before (going in this afternoon to get new radio installed).

In the vehicle maintenance history at ~16k miles, the Toyota dealer we bought the car from completely replaced the transmission (with a remanufactured transmission) after the previous owner brought it in with the same complaint multiple times.

Additionally, there was a leak in the roof at ~31k miles that resulted in a complete replacement of the headliner, carpet and brake light assembly. Shortly after those repairs were completed, the car was traded in to the dealer and listed for sale.

None of these issues were on the Carfax or brought to our attention. We were told multiple times that the car was "clean as a whistle" and "well cared for". All repairs were completed at the Toyota dealer where we purchased the car and the original owner bought it from there as well.

Is there anything we can do? We wouldn't have purchased this truck if we knew about the transmission or leaking roof/water damage issues, or at least would have questioned/negotiated differently. And we certainly wouldn't have paid what we did if we had known. The dealership performed these repairs, so obviously they were aware of the true condition of the vehicle and we have the work order documents as proof.

Appreciate any help!

Best, Tommy

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Just curious what you paid.

And I have no idea what you should do, but I would be pissed and talking to a GM at the dealership, if not happy calling yota Corp.

tcjacado, Gator352 and Larmo63 like this.
  3. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    What do you want to do now that you have this knowledge? Do you want to keep the vehicle or get rid of it? If it's the latter, seek the advice of an attorney.

If it's the former, feel free to complain but don't expect any resolution. You might get lucky with a partial refund if you threaten to return based on this knowledge, but its more likely they will call your bluff on that.

Gunshot-6A and MRBOND101 like this.
  4. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    GoalieMan33

GoalieMan33 [OP] Member

Member:
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    @Spare Parts - Got it for 36.5K, with 31k miles. Visually spotless at purchase.

@Rock Lobster - we like the truck so really don't think we'd want to go through legal there. May cost more money and aggrevation. I'd prefer to have an OEM warranty on it now knowing there have been already major issues.

Rock Lobster and Spare Parts like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Resqu2

Resqu2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    SW VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-road
    AVS Aeroskin bug shield, TufSkinz tailgate letters, tinted windows, Undercover Ultraflex bed cover.
    I don’t think you will get anywhere at all, they will say any issues were repaired to Toyota spec. You may ask for some additional warranty but don’t expect much. I’d not be to happy either but with it all fixed it should be a great truck.

shakerhood and 2016Tacoman like this.
  6. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    as long as the root cause of the water leak was fixed, then i don't see much of an issue. at most, ask for an extended warrenty. prepared for them to tell you to pound sand

shakerhood, Gunshot-6A and Hank Heel like this.
  7. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Radio and 3rd brake light are known issues, so those were fixed under warranty and wouldnt be reported as a collision.

Transmission thing could of just been because the first owner didnt like how the truck shifts... it seems like a common issue people have.

Kinda sounds like you were shopping for a new car but with used car prices. Any car you buy used will have previous repairs done. Only way to get around this is to buy a new car.

shakerhood, jaceharp and 2016Tacoman like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    texbaz

texbaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    "Buffalo Creek" TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Silver Sky Metalic 4WD DCSB TRD OR
    Sorry to hear this, when it should be a time your just over the top from your recent purchase. pretty strange. according to Toyotas certified pre-owned FAQ.

A Toyota Certified Used Vehicle (TCUV) must be a current model year Toyota, up to and including six year old models, and have 85,000 miles or less on the odometer. Each Toyota dealer is required to order a full CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ with results showing NO ineligible requirements. Then, each vehicle is subject to an intensive 160-point minimum Quality Assurance Inspection, which includes mechanical, detailing, and appearance standards. These strict standards ensure that only the best of the best vehicles receive the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Seal of Approval.

Definetly time to escolate this, and keep going until you are satisfied
    It was a Pre-owned Certified right?

Good Luck

9. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    Spackletooms

Spackletooms Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If the dealership offers extended warranty, I’d take it and keep the truck till that expires.

CusterFan and Gunshot-6A like this.
  10. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco Instalander

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Lexus LX 470
    I don't see anything in that quote that would be justification for escalation.

Hobbs, itrsteve, Doggman and 6 others like this.
  11. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    The previous owner brought the truck in for a touchscreen restarting and they replaced the transmission?

12. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    2017OR

2017OR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road
    TRD exhaust, Pro Grill, Access Tonneau cover, TRD Pro wheels, BumperShellz, Pro shift know, Yota LED grille lights
    OP- was it a certified vehicle? If so, it usually has an extended warranty well beyond the 3yr/36k.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  13. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    Mtn Mike

Mtn Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR AC
    But was it purchased as a Toyota Certified vehicle? My understanding is that Toyota Certified is just an extended warrantee that costs a little more at the time of purchase and the vehicles have to qualify for it. My dealer told me that they only sell used vehicles that are Certified.

So, if it is certified, then it's got a good warrantee. If it's not, that may mean that it didn't pass certification. Perhaps you could ask the dealer to certify now (aka give you a warrantee)

shakerhood likes this.
  14. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    GoalieMan33

GoalieMan33 [OP] Member

Member:
    Detroit
    Vehicle:
    @xJuice - they brought it in for radio and transmission on separate occasions.

@texbaz not certified preowned, but bought, maintained, traded in and resold by same dealer with all records on VIN through Toyota.

@5nahalf - saw the posts about radio ad 3rd brake light. Understand there. The transmission was brought in for:
    TRANSMISSION ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VSC LIGHT CAME ON. WILL NOT SHIFT INTO OVERDRIVE RPMS REV AT 3500 RPMS AND WILL NOT SHIFT. ~|~VERIFIED THE CUSTOMERS COMPLAINT. MADE TAS CASE NUMBER 180170373. TRANSMISSION IS FAULTY AND REQUIRES REPLACEMENT. ~|~T-5.7 366011 OP CODE T1-8A T2-99 R&R THE TRANSMISSION ASSY. SET FLUID LEVEL, RESET LEARNED MEMORY VALUES AND ROAD TESTED THE VEHICLE. ALL IS NOW WELL. P07407F AND P2756F FAULT CODES DID NOT RETURN AND VERIFIED TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP WITH TECHSTREAM.

15. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Tacoma3rdGen Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited
    Was this purchase “Toyota pre-owned certified”... if so, call corporate today and open a case (that action may get you nowhere, but try anyway). If not, we’ll its a used vehicle and “Caveat Emptor”. Depending on state laws, you may or may not have cause for legal action... and will be at the mercy of the dealership GM. Speak to the GM only, (no surrogate) and explain how you were mislead. If a reputable dealer, they will provide a compromise solution... regardless, post your full and complete truthful experience on as many social outlets as you can find.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  16. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    BBPSR54X4

BBPSR54X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Sorry you are dissatisfied. That said, the repairs were done at a Toyota shop, so you should be fine.

17. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

"All is now well" WTF, was the tech british?

I mean, it does happen, not sure putting in a remanufactured transmission was the best choice on their part. Sometimes warranty repairs can show what the last owner was up to. If they have alot of driveline breakage, then they may be too rough on it.

This is also a problem with the model you got though. No one buys a TRD pro to drive to church on sundays. When I worked for VW, I told every person looking at a used GTI that its going to be a little beaten up when you buy one. Its a performance car, and thats what people get them for. The TRD pro is a performance truck (though just in the suspension part) so its safe to say the last owner treated it as such.

18. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    Namrog456

Namrog456 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro Tundra
    2018 TRD Pro DCSB AT - SOLD 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner - SOLD 2020 SR DCSB - SOLD 2022 TRD Pro Tundra
    Personally, the only one with which I would have an issue is the radio; it was previously worked on but not fully repaired. Are you on the hook for the [current] repair?
    Transmission issue: great, you got a newer one! Remanufactured shouldn't be an issue; it still has fewer miles than the truck.
    3rd brake light (CHMSL) issue: well known issue in early 3rd gens. If no smell of mold/mildew, it was fixed properly.

I understand your frustration with the issue, but I don't feel as though you have a case (legally speaking). You paid a fair price for a used vehicle that had warranty work done. If I was you, I would approach the dealer GM respectfully and express disappointment with the lack of up-front information and see if they will do something in good will for you. If you approach it with anger, it will fall on deaf ears.

Curious what area you are in, though, as I am in Michigan as well.

Hobbs and 2016Tacoman like this.
  19. Jan 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    2016Tacoman

2016Tacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Metallic
    Doesn't certified mean everything works and is in good shape which it is?
    What am I missing ?

Hobbs, jsinnard and Dravnx like this.
  20. Jan 4, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Tacoma3rdGen

Tacoma3rdGen Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Limited

Products Discussed in

To Top