1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on suspension:Pro's vs Con's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dotpt, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM

dotpt [OP] Member

Aug 22, 2009
    2" Icon Coil-overs up front & Icon reservoir shocks in back, All-Pro front skid plate, Timbrens, 285-75-16 Big O AT's
    I have a 2007 TRD D-Cab. Both leaf springs are shot and the ride is horrible. I am looking to replace both the front and rear suspension. Keeping the stock tire and rim size and I don't need more than 1-2" in lift. I am replacing the suspension for the ride/off-road quality not so much for the height. I looked through about 50+ pages of posts but have enough ?'s hopefully I can get some advice from all the experts with first hand experience. Looking at icon coil-overs and rear shocks and replacing the leaf springs (add a leaf not a option) all together with Alcan's etc. I use it offroad (in the desert mostly, hunting) and have a ATV (700 lbs) in the bed. I run usually about 1-2 hours at 50 mph to get to the prime coyote hunting grounds on dirt semi-maintained to un-maintained roads. so a lot of bumps and washboards. HWY driving 5 days a week and the rest offroad. Minimal rock crawling AKA Moab. So my questions are:

1. icon suspension stage 1 OK or do I need the reservoir shocks for the 1-2 hour steady dirt ride? Pro's-con's?

2. Alcan, Deaver etc. leaf pack-- pro's/con's? I am told there will be a SLIGHT decrease in load carrying capacity/weight. How much is SLIGHT and what about Timbren enhancement suspension kits to assist? Will it handle the 700+ pounds in the bed. Ride quality one vs. the other? Durability?

3. I don't really want to lift more than 2 inches so if I don't will there be any issues with the drive shaft or brake lines etc. Minimal extra modifications would be nice!

Alot of questions but you guys seem to know more than the dealer and local guys here. If I am missing anything else or you have any other suggestions let me have it. I am open to any advice and experience form the Forum.

To Top